In many ways, Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and Batman. He is a detective, cunning and logical, but he is also one of the last of his race, capable of many of the same superhuman talents as the Man of Steel.
Science and science fiction have always speculated upon the notion that there was life on Mars. One scientist, Dr. Saul Erdel, attempt through experimental communication technology to contact the red planet. What returned through the beacon he transmitted was not just a message from Mars; it was a Martian, and not the sort fictionalized by H.G. Wells. This being was humanoid, at least to a degree, for his shape was random. He was a shape-shifter.
Erdel learned that Mars was dead, burned, lost in time. This Martian was named J'onn J'onzz. He had no desire to invade earth, but instead took to this world, joining its people and the Justice League to make certain that the end that befell Mars would never threaten Earth.
The Martian Manhunter's fear of fire suggest hypersensitivity, but this is too simple an explanation. His weaknesses would be too common to this world as well as Mars. Perhaps this is because his mass changes depending upon the form he adopts. 
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Shape-Shifting: Martians have psionic control of their physical for down to the molecular level. This allows them to a form of shape-shifting that allows them to mimic other forms, elongate aspects of their body, increase or decrease their physical size, and so on.
- Invisibility: Martians can cause the biopolymers in their bodies to lose their ability to reflect light, making the Martians invisible to normal light and human sight.
- Phasing: Martians can go through solid matter.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Stamina
- Extrasensory Input
- Super Hearing
- Martian Vision: Martian visual acuity greatly exceed human norms and allows for a wider range of information to be observed. This includes the following:
- Telepathy: Martians have the ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. 
- Astral Projection
- Mind Control: As an extension of this, Martians can also use the ability to alter a psychological profile of a target, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control that individual. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used. 
- Telepathic Relay
- Telepathic Assault
- Investigation: Rivaling Batman, John Jones may yet been his world's greatest detective. Being connected to all other Martians makes hiding a secret a difficult task, John is trained to see the unseen and can detect a lie in more ways than just hearing your heartbeat. 
- Vulnerability to Fire: Martians are much more vulnerable to fire than the average Earth human. At times this has been portrayed as physical, psychological, or a combination of the two. The effect of this is to strip any Martian of their powers as they involuntarily lose control of their body.
- Appearances of J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Images featuring J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Quotations by or about J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
- Character Gallery: J'onn J'onzz (Justice)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.