J'onn was a founding member of the Justice League. He was the only member who constantly lived in the Watchtower, however he frequented Earth. Upon the destruction of the first Watchtower after repelling the Thanagarian invasion, a new Watchtower was built which he later took residence in. After the Leagues significant expansion, J'onn took the role of the League's official coordinator, keeping watch on a global scale and handing out assignments based on the availability of hero personnel and the best match of abilities to situations However his solitude began to clearly manifest itself. In one instance, he had been in space for 2 years without going back to Earth. Supported by Wonder Woman and Green Arrow, he temporarily resigned his commission to mingle with the people of Earth. In this time, he met a woman and married her.
He eventually returned to active duty during Darkseid's second invasion of Earth.
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Shape-Shifting: Martians have psionic control of their physical for down to the molecular level. This allows them to a form of shape-shifting that allows them to mimic other forms, elongate aspects of their body, increase or decrease their physical size, and so on.
- Invisibility: Martians can cause the biopolymers in their bodies to lose their ability to reflect light, making the Martians invisible to normal light and human sight.
- Phasing: Martians can go through solid matter.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Stamina
- Extrasensory Input
- Super Hearing
- Martian Vision: Martian visual acuity greatly exceed human norms and allows for a wider range of information to be observed. This includes the following:
- Telepathy: Martians have the ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. 
- Astral Projection
- Mind Control: As an extension of this, Martians can also use the ability to alter a psychological profile of a target, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control that individual. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used. 
- Telepathic Relay
- Telepathic Assault
- Vulnerability to Fire: Martians are much more vulnerable to fire than the average Earth human. At times this has been portrayed as physical, psychological, or a combination of the two. The effect of this is to strip any Martian of their powers as they involuntarily lose control of their body.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of J'onn J'onzz. The original character was created by Joseph Samachson and Joe Certa and first appeared in Detective Comics #225.
- J'onn was voiced by Carl Lumbly.
- J'onn J'onzz does not have dreams when he sleeps.
- Like his comic counterpart, J'onn J'onzz shares his affection for chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Appearances of J'onn J'onzz (DCAU)
- Images featuring J'onn J'onzz (DCAU)
- Quotations by or about J'onn J'onzz (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: J'onn J'onzz (DCAU)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Detective Comics #225
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #8
- ↑ DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Who's Who: Update '88 #2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Martian Manhunter #4
- ↑ Detective Comics #226
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Adventures in the DC Universe #5
- ↑ Justice League Unlimited Episode: Fearful Symmetry
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.