In the Spring of 1942, a top-secret government think tank known as Project M made great advances in the field of robotics. Helmed by luminaries such as Professor Mazursky and Doctor Charles Grayson, Project M developed one of the world's first fully-functional robotic automatons, which was colloquially referred to as the G.I. Robot. The Jungle Assault Killer Experiment (or J.A.K.E. for short) was nearly destroyed before ever coming online howver. In May of that year, Mazursky's traitorous assistant Per Degaton, provided egress into the Project's Bedloe's Island facility to fellow super-villains Deathbolt and the Ultra-Humanite. Thanks to the presence of the Young All-Stars however, the villains were defeated and J.A.K.E. I was eventually activated. Project M programmed J.A.K.E. I for jungle combat and outfitted him with various weaponry including machine guns, anti-aircraft missiles, rocket jets and miniature torpedoes. J.A.K.E. I was partnered with a young marine named Sgt. Coker and together the two embarked upon several missions on behalf of the United States during World War II. Along the way, Project M provided J.A.K.E. I and Coker with a robotic canine named Cap who accompanied them on several missions. J.A.K.E. I saved Sgt. Coker's life on several occasions in the South Pacific, and was ideal for surveying battle fields in search of land mines. At one point, J.A.K.E. I even encountered a Japanese Sumo variant of himself, but was able to defeat him in physical combat. In 1943, J.A.K.E. I sacrificed his own existence to save the lives of a crew of American sailors. Although J.A.K.E. I was destroyed, a subsequent model, aptly named J.A.K.E. II, was pressed into service. This version of the G.I. Robot served throughout the remainder of World War II and went on to become a member of the Creature Commandos.
All of the G.I. Robot's powers are functions of its design and programming. As a Robot J.A.K.E. possesses all of the various superhuman attributes:
- Superhuman Strength: As a Robot J.A.K.E. is superhumanly strong and possesses beyond the human limit.
- Superhuman Speed: As a Robot J.A.K.E. can run and move at speeds that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Durability: As a Robot J.A.K.E. body is composed of metal. This armor plated material makes him durable to most attacks.
- Superhuman Stamina: As a Robot J.A.K.E. can exert itself well beyond the human limit as long as he has sufficent power.
- Superhuman Agility: As a Robot J.A.K.E. agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Weapons: His left arms consist of a fully functional machine gun, which can fire both bullets, mini-torpedoes, and small anti-aircraft missiles.
- Flight:He can also fly for short distances thanks to small rockets in his boots.
- Superhuman Intelligence: He also is capable of rapid analysis of huge amounts of data.
- Audio Sensitivity: J.A.K.E. can adjust the sensitivity of his audio receptors to a point where he can detect the faintest of sounds.
- Visual Scanners: J.A.K.E. is capable of scanning life forms, energy sources and other objects detecting the substances that they are composed of.
- Vocal Imitation: J.A.K.E. is not able to comunicate verbally forced to follow orders without question.
- Military Combat fatigues
- Rocket Jet boots
- Automatic machine gun(s)
- Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Flame Thrower
- Miniature Torpedos
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Being an automaton, the G.I. Robot is technically genderless, but its body is patterned after that of an adult male.
- 14 Appearances of J.A.K.E. I (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring J.A.K.E. I (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about J.A.K.E. I (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: J.A.K.E. I (New Earth)