Appearing in "Came the Pale Riders"
- Gina Fastabriana
- Gaea (Mentioned only)
- Gotham City Police Department (Mentioned only)
- H'ronmeer (Mentioned only)
- Jerry Halloran
- Emil Hamilton (Phone call only)
- K'hym J'onzz (As an illusion only)
- M'yri'ah J'onzz (As an illusion only)
- Jimmy Olsen (Mentioned only)
- David Shetzer
- Perry White
- Mars (As an illusion only)
Synopsis for "Came the Pale Riders"
At the Daily Planet building, Lois Lane spontaneously stops investigating a story to pull open Clark Kent's shirt and reveal his Superman costume underneath. After the duo quickly cover up her actions as a response to flu medication, she explains that something overcame her.
In Gotham City, Batman and Nightwing save the life of a psychic who jumps off a building. As Batman's batrope carries them to safety, his partner cuts it because voices told him to do it. They narrowly escape their death.
In Russia, Flash, Green Lantern Kyle Rayner, Plastic Man, and Wonder Woman respond to a famine in a remote city. When they come to help, a nuclear device explodes giving Rayner only seconds to shield as many as he can. The survivors immediately begin mobbing the Leaguers.
The White Martians take the Martian Manhunter to an abandoned office building in Phoenix where they will use his knowledge of the League's secrets to destroy them.
- No special notes.
- The establishing shot of Murmansk on page 9 depicts what appears to be a nuclear power plant. While there is a nuclear power plant located in Murmansk, Kola Nuclear Power Plant looks nothing like what's shown in this issue. Rather, it appears Bryan Hitch took his inspiration from the infamous disaster-ridden Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, complete with its characteristic chimney stack and the containment "sarcophagus". Even the buildings in the foreground exist in Pripyat, so it would appear Hitch drew the entire establishing shot straight from a reference photo.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss JLA Vol 1 55 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the JLA series
- Images from JLA Vol 1 55