"The Fall and Rise of Vandal Savage, Part I of IV": Vandal Savage is trapped inside the core of a sailing comet. He lands somewhere in the frozen wastelands of Antarctica. As he emerges he reflects upon the comet that bestowed upon him the power of immortality m
- Only a madman would hitch a ride home inside a comet. Fortunately, I stopped heeding others' definitions of sanity millennia ago.
Synopsis for "The Fall and Rise of Vandal Savage, Part I of IV"
Vandal Savage is trapped inside the core of a sailing comet. He lands somewhere in the frozen wastelands of Antarctica. As he emerges he reflects upon the comet that bestowed upon him the power of immortality millennia ago. He finds a bird and devours it as his mind hearkens back to other poignant time periods in his life.
3582 BCE: Sumeria Vandal Savage consults with an ancient Sumerian engineer. The engineer presents him with his idea of a wheel that could be used on carts in place of rollers. Savage, recognizing the old man's brilliance kills him with his very creation, and goes forward claiming to have invented the wheel.
The Present: Back in the present, Savage travels to rural Oregon to inspect one of his various body banks. He finds the facility in ruins, and all of the organs that he had harvested over the years have been destroyed. Vandal suffers another flashback.
323 AD: Chrysopolis Vandal Savage assumes the identity of Emperor Licinius and rallies the soldiers of the Eastern Empire together. He marches on the Roman Emperor Constantine, but loses the war within a year. Savage abandons his Licinius identity, allowing another man to be executed in his place.
The Present: South Dakota Vandal Savage goes to South Dakota in an effort to enlist the aid of one of his old contacts, Mister Caputo. Caputo wants nothing to do with Savage however and tells him that he cannot work for him.
244 BCE: Northern Europe Vandal Savage suffers under the yoke of Slavery for European barbarians.
Vandal Savage goes to another of his hidden facilities in the northern Appalachian mountains. He puts himself through a battery of tests and discovers that he is suffering from an inoperable brain tumor. He has only eleven days to live. He then travels to New York City, where he locates his daughter, Scandal. He wants to make up for lost time with her, but Scandal responds violently by stabbing him in the chest. Vandal survives the wound, and decides that he has enough time left to him to gain revenge against only one of his old enemies. He decides to hunt down the Green Lantern.
Appearing in "The Fall and Rise of Vandal Savage, Part I of IV"
- Vandal Savage (Flashback and main story)
- Mister Caputo (First appearance)
- New York
- South Dakota
- Appalachian Mountains
- Chrysopolis (323)
- Northern Europe (244 BCE)
- Despite the cover depiction, Alan Scott only makes a cameo appearance in this issue.
- Vandal Savage appeared last in The Flash (Volume 2) #230.
- The Battle of Chrysopolis as depicted in this issue, is based upon an actual historical event.
- Justice Society Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Squadron (Volume 1)
- America vs. the Justice Society (Volume 1)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- JSA (Volume 1)
- JSA: All Stars (Volume 1)
- JSA Classified (Volume 1)
- JSA: Strange Adventures (Volume 1)
- JSA vs. Kobra (Volume 1)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 1)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 2)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 3)
- Last Days of the Justice Society Special #1
Links and References
The events from this issue take place one year after the events of the 2006 limited series Infinite Crisis. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: 1 Year Later Crossover.