"Face-Off": Atom Smasher wakes up next to Black Adam. He feels like he was hit by a train and realizes he's been transported to a holding pen. Suddenly, the gates are flung open and they walk into a Colosseum-like arena. [[Veronica Sincl
JSA #28 is an issue of the series JSA (Volume 1) with a cover date of November, 2001. It was published on September 19, 2001.
Synopsis for "Face-Off"
Atom Smasher wakes up next to Black Adam. He feels like he was hit by a train and realizes he's been transported to a holding pen. Suddenly, the gates are flung open and they walk into a Colosseum-like arena. Roulette has them introduced and pumped with aggressive drugs to cause them to fight gladiator style. Roulette' right hand man, Tap, reveals to fellow fan that he is secretly betting on Atom Smasher and can control their power levels.
Meanwhile, Mister Terrific wakes up and finds himself strapped into a human-sized chess set as the King. Roulette walks in and gently flirts with him. She then informs him he'll be facing off in a death-match chess game against Dr. Mid-Nite and walks off.
She struts through a room with plaques of famous dead heroes and tells Tap she's going to need some more wall space and promises to live up to her grandfather's legacy.
Sand wakes up and finds Hawkman protecting him from a grizzly lion. When he is able to stand, they are informed by Roulette that Hawkgirl is being held in a nearby cave. They both have been poisoned and Kendra has enough antidote for one. They split up to find her. Later, Hawkman finds Sand's helmet and is suddenly attacked by a large bat.
Appearing in "Face-Off"
- Justice Society of America
- Black Mask (Cameo)
- Black Spider (Cameo)
- Brain Storm (Cameo)
- Brutale (Cameo)
- Bug-Eyed Bandit (Cameo)
- Calendar Man (Cameo)
- Cannon (Cameo)
- Captain Boomerang (Cameo)
- Captain Cold (Cameo)
- Cat-Man (Cameo)
- Deadshot (Cameo)
- Deathstroke (Cameo)
- Disruptor (Cameo)
- Doctor Spectro (Cameo)
- Electrocutioner (Cameo)
- Evil Star (Cameo)
- Fadeaway Man (Cameo)
- Fisherman (Cameo)
- Jack of Spades (Cameo)
- Knodar (Cameo)
- Magpie (Cameo)
- Mirror Master (Cameo)
- Ocean Master (Cameo)
- Phobia (Cameo)
- Psycho-Pirate (Cameo)
- Punch (Cameo)
- Rainbow Raider (Cameo)
- Riddler (Cameo)
- Saber (Cameo)
- Shadow-Thief (Cameo)
- Tap (First appearance)
- Weather Wizard (Cameo)
- Aton (Mentioned only)
- Behemoth (In a photograph only)
- Captain Marvel (Mentioned only)
- Firebrand (In a photograph only)
- Flyboy (In a photograph only)
- Gorgon (In a photograph only)
- Harpi (In a photograph only)
- Paula Holt (Mentioned only)
- Impala (In a photograph only)
- Maxi-Man (In a photograph only)
- Terry Sloane (Mentioned only)
- Prometheus (In a photograph only)
- Ram (In a photograph only)
- Scirocco (In a photograph only)
- Touch'N Go (In a photograph only)
- Waynetech (Mentioned only)
- This issue follows JSA Secret Files and Origins #2.
- This issue was reprinted in the JSA: Fair Play collection and the JSA Omnibus Vol. 2.
- The sign "Adam 3:16" is a reference to professional wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin, whose fans would display "Austin 3:16" signs at events, themselves in reference to John 3:16.