"Princes of Darkness Prologue: Peacemakers": At the JSA Brownstone, Doctor Fate has awakened the woman he thought was Lyta Trevor, his wife. However, she is revealed as Dove, the mother of his current body. Dove explai
- The Age of Chaos is coming, counsellor. A great darkness will spread its wings over creation.
- — Kobra
Appearing in "Princes of Darkness Prologue: Peacemakers"
- Mona Bennett (Mentioned only)
- Child (as Cutter) (Mentioned only)
- Crimson Avenger (Cameo)
- Eclipso (Mentioned only)
- Extant (Mentioned only)
- Bruce Gordon (Behind the scenes)
- Infinity, Inc. (Mentioned only)
- Justice League (Mentioned only)
- Lex Luthor (Mentioned only)
- Yolanda Montez (Mentioned only)
- Lyta Trevor (Mentioned only)
- New Earth
- Earth's Moon (Mentioned only)
- Justice League Watchtower (Mentioned only)
- Amulet of Anubis
- Cloak of Destiny
- Cosmic Converter Belt
- Cosmic Staff
- Eclipso's black diamonds
- Helmet of Nabu
- Nth Metal
Synopsis for "Princes of Darkness Prologue: Peacemakers"
At the JSA Brownstone, Doctor Fate has awakened the woman he thought was Lyta Trevor, his wife. However, she is revealed as Dove, the mother of his current body. Dove explains that although she was considered dead, this was a ruse on the part of Extant's controller, a malefic entity who wanted her child's body for its own - Mordru. At the mention of this, Doctor Fate puts on his helmet and teleports away.
At the courthouse, Kobra's brainwashed followers are attempting to break in and free their leader. Black Adam remarks that this would not hve been tolerated in his day, while Atom-Smasher is hit by a thrown bottle, causing Doctor Fate to target the thrower with his magic - much to the consternation of Hawkman.
Inside the courthouse, Mister Terrific and Sand are observing the trial. Kobra has a set answer to the acts of terrorism - he claims to be a "bodhisattva", an enlightened soul freeing his fellow men from their karmic debts through random acts of violence. The teachings he follow prophesise a coming age of soul-eating darkness.
Outside the courthouse, one of the crowd has a ticking satchel. Power Girl rips it off him and flies into the sky, so that only she is affected by its blast. Inside the courthouse, the crowd reacts to the noise by running for the exits, while law enforcement agents rush for Kobra, expecting him to make a run. However, Mister Terrific realizes the truth - Kobra is not attempting to run, he is simply trying to get everyone's attention. Kobra then informs them that 500 of his followers in the crowd have been surgically implanted with incendiaries. Since they are brainwashed, the judge and the heroes face a choice—either release him or be responsible for the death of the entire crowd. Faced with no choice, they release him. As he walks out, he tells them of his plan to teleport himself and his followers away using Thanagarian technology that he stole from the Justice League Headquarters. In a rage at being made to look like fools, Black Adam and Atom-Smasher decide to quit the Society and fly away. Doctor Fate remarks that their souls will burn in hell. Hawkman demands that he remove his helmet, and Hector does so—revealing that he has been possessed by Mordru.
- This issue was reprinted in JSA Omnibus Vol. 2.
- The shape that appears behind Wildcat is the second Crimson Avenger. She is next seen after the "Princes of Darkness" storyline. She is hunting him for avenging a murder referenced in JSA #37.
- Although this story is technically part of the "Princes of Darkness" story, it was collected in the "Savage Times" trade edition, because it contains too many references to previous stories to work as a first issue.
- Justice Society Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Squadron (Volume 1)
- America vs. the Justice Society (Volume 1)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- JSA (Volume 1)
- JSA: All Stars (Volume 1)
- JSA Classified (Volume 1)
- JSA: Strange Adventures (Volume 1)
- JSA vs. Kobra (Volume 1)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 1)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 2)
- Justice Society of America (Volume 3)
- Last Days of the Justice Society Special #1