- I'm against anybody who uses violence to force their beliefs, their will, on the rest of us.
- — Wild Dog src
Star athlete Jack Wheeler went to college on a football scholarship. After an injury forced him off the team, he dropped out, unable to afford tuition. He opted instead for a tour of duty with the U.S. Marines, which ended in tragedy when most of his comrades were killed by a terrorist bomb. Disheartened, Wheeler left the Marines and returned to Quad Cities, taking night classes at State University. He also fell in love with Claire Smith -- only to see her struck down by a gunman. The police investigation revealed that her last name was really Carmonti and that she was the daughter of a recently killed Chicago mob boss. She was not a random victim, but a target. Something inside Wheeler snapped. Donning a hockey-mask, khakis, and a State U. T-Shirt, he became the crime fighter "Wild Dog". He was soon a local hero, even though wanted by the police for his ruthless vigilantism. Wheeler spent his days as a car mechanic, and his nights as a protector of the innocent.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat
- Mechanical Engineering: Wheeler was a car mechanic by trade.
- Artistry: Jack took some art classes in college. Andy was impressed by his sketch of the Night Slasher.
- Body Armor (lightweight)
- "Rover": Wild Dog's primary vehicle was his pick-up truck which he would re-paint frequently.
- JATI Sub-Machine Gun
- Stun Glove: Wild Dog's glove acts as a taser, producing an electrical charge for non-lethal incapacitation.
- Wheeler was one of the minor heroes the Great Carlini believed to be expendable that was sent to try and save the Lobo series from becoming too violent. He was killed by Lobo, along with several other characters pulled from Comic Limbo, in a barroom brawl. Due to the highly meta nature of the storyline and the fact almost all of the deceased characters appeared again in mainstream continuity, these deaths do not appear to be canon. Wheeler appeared alive several times afterwards, his last being in an alternate timeline where he dies. His last mainstream continuity appearance in New Earth was during Infinite Crisis.
- The Secret Six once attended a superhero-themed club where there was a dancer dressed as Wild Dog.
- 37 Appearances of Jack Wheeler (New Earth)
- 28 Images featuring Jack Wheeler (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Jack Wheeler (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jack Wheeler (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.