While patrolling the Rio Grande, Jack Woods encountered cattle rustler Don Nogales. He was abducted by Nogales and taken to his ranch in Mexico, where the don intended to kill Jack. But Nogales' plans were thwarted by the unexpected arrival of Governor Pedro de Roganza, who was being pursued by Pancho Villa and his troops.
Villa took control of Nogales' ranch, forcing Jack, Don Nogales, and his daughter Dolores, to flee from there. The trio were pursued by Villa through the vast Chihuahuan Desert, but were eventually captured, and taken back to the ranch once again. Back there, Dolores managed to free Jack, who called in the Mexican Federal Troops to rescue them.
Jack confronted Villa in an epic showdown, and got the better of the infamous outlaw. Villa was then arrested by the Mexican troops, and Jack was finally able to return to his home state, sadly saying goodbye to Dolores, whom he had formed a close relationship with during the whole affair.
Back in Texas
There are lengthy gaps in Woods' history, and some of his adventures took place in the 1930s.
Powers and Abilities
- Colt six-guns; Winchester rifles; lariats
- This version of Jack Woods, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- As the cover feature of the first National comic book ever published, New Fun Comics #1, Jack Woods is the very first DC Comics hero.
- In that issue, the text article In the Movies reveals that the character Jack Woods is based on the hero of the same name from the Universal Pictures serial "Rustlers of Red Gap".
- Jack's adventures ran from New Fun Comics #1 to More Fun Comics #35 then from Adventure Comics #39 to #42.
- 43 Appearances of Jack Woods (Earth-Two)
- 2 Images featuring Jack Woods (Earth-Two)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jack Woods (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Jack Woods (Earth-Two)