Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Colonel Jacob Kane is the father of Kate Kane and Beth Kane. A lifelong soldier, Jacob had been a field officer with USSOCOM for most of his career, leading numerous tactical operations across the globe as part of the 3rd Special Forces Group. His wife Gabi Kane was a Captain with the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade. Both Kanes worked extensively with military intelligence services.
The Kanes often moved due to the nature of Jacob and Gabi's work. Jacob was frequently away from home, since his duties included intervention in various international military crises.
They eventually moved from Fort Bragg, North Carolina to Brussels, Belgium, since the parents were now serving in NATO. However, the family was soon torn apart due to a terrorist attack. Gabi took her daughters out to celebrate their twelfth birthday, and they were kidnapped by heavily armed men. Military intelligence eventually located the hostages, and Jacob was put in charge of the tactical unit sent to rescue them. However, they were too late, as his wife had been executed and his daughter Elizabeth was believed to be dead. He rescued Kate himself, but she was traumatized by the sight of her dead mother and sister.
Colonel Kane plays an important role in his daughter's Batwoman operations. He provides her a one-man command, control, and communications center. They stay in constant radio link, with the elder Kane being able to run searches, provide advice, and generally work in the background using his considerable knowledge, contacts and experience. Colonel Kane primarily uses his connections and his intelligence-gathering and management skills. He has access to numerous databases that are normally only accessible to military and law enforcement personnel to provide intel to his daughter.
- Boxing: Jacob has been shown sparring with Kate during her Batwoman training, and may have taught her years earlier as well.
- Medicine: Jacob can apply sutures.
- Military Protocol
- Tactical Analysis
- Jacob Kane was created by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III, first appearing in Detective Comics #854. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Jacob Kane first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batwoman (Volume 2) #1 by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman.
- Jacob has earned the following military awards: the Army Achievement Medal, the Kosovo Campaign Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the NATO Medal for Kosovo, the Kuwait Liberation Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and an Army Aviator Badge.
- It's heavily implied Jacob attended West Point, due to Kate's statement that she "emulated [him] in every way [she] could."
- 56 Appearances of Jacob Kane (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Jacob Kane (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jacob Kane (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jacob Kane (Prime Earth)