Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- If my many years in villainy has proven anything, I hope it is this... that one can be both a ghost... and a gentleman.
- — Gentleman Ghost src
In their first encounter, Craddock stole the Mortis Orb, which had the power to resurrect the dead. Using the orb to raise an army of zombies, Hawkman battled and managed to escape the building they were in. Then, the Gentleman Ghost appeared again, saying that the warlock's spell rendered the orb inert years ago, but the Nth Metal broke the spell, causing the orb to regain its power. The Gentleman Ghost took the orb, saying that he would use it to transcend death and resurrect himself through the life-force of every man, woman and child nearby. Then, he disappeared and the zombies that were attacking Hawkman dissipated.
The Gentleman Ghost began fully harnessing the orb's power, creating a portal from which Julius Gates came out. Gates, demanding the orb, grabbed Craddock, while Hawkman took the orb from him. The portal vanished with Craddock and Gates inside, causing them both to disappear, along with the apparitions and zombies. Hawkman, to keep the from falling into the wrong hands again, dropped the Mortis Orb somewhere in Antarctica.
- Spectral Physiology
- Intangibility: When he chooses to, Craddock can make himself completely intangible. He can not be bound by handcuffs even if they have a magical hex on them. However he can still become tangible when he wants to.
- Reliance on the Moon: Craddock can only manifest himself at certain times based on the moon cycle. He is only bound to the Earth by the moon, and thus when the moon disappears for the day he also vanishes.
- Vulnerability to Nth Metal: For unknown reasons, Craddock has a weakness against the element known as Nth Metal. When he makes contact with Nth Metal he is banished to the spectral plane and can not return until the next new moon.
- Gentleman Ghost (James Craddock) was created by Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert, first appearing in Flash Comics #88. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Tony S. Daniel, James Bonny, and Philip Tan's New 52 Savage Hawkman series.
- 18 Appearances of James Craddock (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring James Craddock (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about James Craddock (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: James Craddock (Prime Earth)
|Hawkman and Hawkgirl Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Hawkman, or his associates Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Hawkman Villains category."
Suicide Squad member