Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
James was an inmate at Arkham Asylum and was still alluded to as being the catalyst behind Barbara's paralyzation. He helped Charise Carnes (the villain Knightfall) survive the rigors of the Asylum, saying he admired her views of a city bathed in blood before it was made good. During a break out, he managed to escape. During the Joker's attack on the Batman Family, he called Barbara to inform her that Joker thugs were coming to attack her at her apartment. He then led her to where Joker had been keeping their mother hostage. He drugged Barbara and traded her to the Joker for their mother's life. He fell from a roof top after his sister threw a Batarang at him just as her father arrived on the scene and saw him fall.
He was believed dead until he was recruited into the Suicide Squad by Amanda Waller. His motivation for joining was that he was in love with Waller. He knocked out Deadshot and gone out on standoff with Harley Quinn. He then became an analyzer for the team.
James later became reformed and sane due to an experimental drug. When the Batman Who Laughs started killing the Bruce Waynes of various alternate universes and went after the Batman of Prime Earth, he joined his father and Bruce in helping to put a stop to his plans to infect the city through the waterworks. Together with his dad, he also put a stop to The Grim Knight.
He developed a split-personality disorder and he started murdering redheads, dressing them up as Batgirl out of jealousy. His peaceful side was however unaware that he was the killer and searched for clues about the culprit. He helped Barbara discover that the killer would next strike at the lighthouse, but his violent personality soon returned. At the lighthouse Barbara confronted him and his murderous side stated that it did it for James. Horrified at what he had done, James jumped off the lighthouse and fell to his death.
Powers and Abilities
- Genius Level Intellect
- Knife Proficiency
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Peak Human Condition
- Mental Illness: James is a recovering sociopath and psychopath, although by his own admission he is not as stable as he would have hoped to become. He later developed a split-personality disorder.
- Missing Eye
- James Gordon, Jr. was created by Frank Miller and Dave Mazzucchelli, first appearing in Batman #407. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, James Gordon, Jr. first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batman (Volume 2) #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.
- 52 Appearances of James Gordon, Jr. (Prime Earth)
- 7 Images featuring James Gordon, Jr. (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about James Gordon, Jr. (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: James Gordon, Jr. (Prime Earth)
|Batgirl Villain(s) |
Suicide Squad member