James Gordon was the police commissioner of Gotham City and a stalwart champion of the actions of Batman and Robin whom he considered the city's best defense against crime. Gordon often doled out orders to his police chief, O'Hara, who held the Dynamic Duo in the same high regard as Gordon.
Gordon's family life was intrinsically tied to Batman and Robin's, though he was unaware of it. His daughter, Barbara, sometimes adventured as the masked hero, Batgirl. Gordon almost became the reluctant father-in-law to the Penguin, who sought to marry Gordon's daughter Barbara, thinking that having a family connection to the police commissioner might earn him immunity from the law. The wedding never took place however, much to Gordon's delight.
- Cosmic Awareness: Commissioner Gordon has, at times, shown to be fully aware of being a fictional character, even breaking the Fourth Wall and directly talking to the viewer on a few occasions.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Batman, its tie-in comic book series, related live-action movie and animated movies, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman vs. Two-Face. It is an adaptation of Commissioner Gordon. The original character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane and first appeared in Detective Comics #27.
- Commissioner Gordon was portrayed by Neil Hamilton on the 1966 Batman television series and in the related film Batman.
- In the 2016 animated film, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Commissioner Gordon was voiced by Jim Ward.
- Commissioner Gordon's first name was never mentioned in the TV series or 1966 movie. However, the latter-day DC Comics tie-in Batman '66 confirmed it as "James", like his mainstream DC Universe counterpart, in issue #4.
- 139 Appearances of James Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 2 Images featuring James Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 5 Quotations by or about James Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- Character Gallery: James Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
|1966-1968 Batman television series, the 1966 Batman feature film, the tie-in 2013-2019 comic book series and the 2016 and 2017 animated movies, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman vs. Two-Face. This template will categorize articles that include it into Batman TV Series Characters.|
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.