James Olsen is the son of a soldier who died during Operation Desert Storm in 1991 and, before he was deployed to the Middle East, he gave him his first camera. Since the death of his father Jimmy keeps the camera with him at all times and decide to become a photojournalist; a nervous kid starting out, he find employ at the Daily Planet, where he befriended Clark Kent, who eventually entrusted him with his super-heroic secret allowing him to take the 1st photo of Superman, from which he won a Pulitzer and soon gained public recognition for being friends with him.
Growing up, he began to find the nickname "Jimmy" annoying preferring to be called "James"; also he start a relationship with Lucy Lane, which nevertheless ends because she constantly feels sidelined by him in favor of Superman.
After his father's camera is destroyed during an attempt to stop some criminals armed with alien technology from robbing West National City Bank, James decides to become a vigilante and asks Winn Schott to make him a suit, as Winn had made Kara's Supergirl suit. Although he originally declined, Winn later was forced to agree and help. He then made the suit to specifically protect James. James appeared in the suit, presenting himself as "Guardian", to fight the alien parasite infected Rudy Jones, along with Mon-El. Supergirl would eventually beat Parasite by using plutonium from a nuclear power plant, completely obliterating him. As Guardian left Supergirl tried to use x-ray vision to identify him, but since Guardian's helmet was lined with lead she was unable to, and she allowed him to drive away on his bike. After James' antics as Guardian made the newspapers he and Winn decided to keep going with their new vigilante activities.
Soon after Kara and Alex both discovered James and Guardian were one and the same.
- Unique Physiology: After being treated with Harun-El by Lena Luthor Jimmy started to manifest superhuman abilities.
- Charisma: James is an easygoing and calm person almost all the time, making easy to trust and count on him.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): James is a noted black belt and boxer, as well as a moderate weightlifter.
- Intimidation: As Guardian, he is scary enough in costume with a voice filter to make him sound gruffer.
- Leadership: Jimmy showed great leadership as CEO of CatCo.
- PTSD: James suffered from posttraumatic stress disorder after being shot in an attack in which he was the target within the CatCo building.
- Guardian Suit: A gift from Winn, which gives basic protection against brute force and gunshots. It is also lined with lead to keep X-Ray vision from peeking at his face. It comes with a built-in shield.
- Signal Watch: Originally given to him by Superman to call for help, he now uses it to call Supergirl. It lets out a high pitched frequency only Kryptonians can hear.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Supergirl and is an adaptation of Jimmy Olsen. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Action Comics #6.
- James Olsen is portrayed by Mehcad Brooks.
- 72 Appearances of James Olsen (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- 3 Images featuring James Olsen (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- 1 Quotations by or about James Olsen (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
- Character Gallery: James Olsen (Arrowverse: Earth-38)
Daily Planet Staff member
Superman Family member