James Slade was a photographer working for a major newspaper in 1941 who, inspired by the Justice Society of America, chose to create a costumed identity for himself to fight crime. Able to cast low level spells, Slade wore makeup and a fake mustache and created the identity of Tor, the Magic Master.
Tor fought criminals and Axis spies throughout World War II. As Slade, he became a successful photojournalist, taking award-winning photographs of the war. In 1945, Tor was one of several magic-powered heroes, including Zatara, Doctor Occult, Sargon, and Merlin, who joined forces to fight the deranged Stalker. Despite the JSA's intervention, Tor and Merlin were killed by Stalker.
- Magic: Using the same backwards language that Zatara uses, Tor can manipulate mystical forces to transport his enemies up and away from him. However, his magical might did not stand up to that of Stalker.
- In 1956, DC Comics obtained the rights to the Quality Comics characters, and re-introduced them 17 years later as the Freedom Fighters in Justice League of America #107 (October 1973).
- In 1981, some Quality Characters became recurring guest-stars of All-Star Squadron, a superhero-team title set on "Earth-Two", the locale for DC's WWII-era superheroes, and at a time prior to when the Freedom Fighters were supposed to have left for Earth-X. They later appeared with the rest of DC's superheroes in Crisis on Infinite Earths, a story that was intended to eliminate the confusing histories that DC had attached to its characters by retroactively merging the various parallel worlds into one. The Freedom Fighters became a mere splinter group of the All-Star Squadron.
- 3 Appearances of James Slade (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring James Slade (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about James Slade (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: James Slade (New Earth)
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.