Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Jason Woodrue, also known as the Floronic Man and the Seeder, is an agent of the Parliament of Trees who saved the life of Alec Holland before he took up his role as the Swamp Thing, and thus was granted limited powers over The Green as a reward.
Jason Woodrue was a student of Environmental Science at Reed University in Oregon, having grown up in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. His professor had espoused a controversial theory that plant life has consciousness, and he had been fascinated and obsessed by the notion. The professor had stumbled onto the concept of plant-life having a living champion called the Avatar. Following legends and folklore including the Green Knight, Khidr, Osiris, and even the fictitious Tom Bombadil, he had posited that somehow, it would be possible for an ordinary man to become that champion.
Wanting to become that "Green Man", Woodrue chased any lead, no matter how tiny, for the truth about this being, eventually coming to Mato Grosso, Brazil. There, having found the Parliament of Trees he begged them to grant him the role of the Avatar, wanting so very badly to protect the Earth, but was not answered. Still, he was not ignored, and the Parliament, having already chosen their avatar, chose to leave him as a potential aid if they had a task that an avatar could not complete.
Saving Professor Alec Holland
Much later, the Parliament spoke to him, demanding that he save "Alec Holland". In return, he demanded some of their power, even though he was not their avatar. Though Woodrue did not know who this man was, he found him poisoned by brain-destroying, Rot-based flowers created by Anton Arcane and grown in Blestemat, the Swamp Thing gave him to Jason Woodrue, who had made a deal with the Parliament of Trees to help Alec, taking the Parliament's chosen future Avatar back to the airport and the swamp that was home to the Grove that made up Earth's connection to The Green. In exchange for this aid, the deal was that he would be given powers he had demanded, ones that gave him control over a portion of the Green by way of a manipulation of seeds he could use to a multitude of effects.
Expanding PowersWoodrue had been unsatisfied with his reward and sought out more power from the Cult of the Cold Flame, specifically Mister E, Felix Faust, and Sargon the Sorceress. They demanded that he perform evil tasks in exchange for that power, tasks he performed without hesitation. The crimes changed him, but he barely noticed, seeking only power. By mixing magic with the Green, he gained new and amazing powers, recapturing the Parliament's attention as the Seeder.
Rise and Fall of the Seeder
War with the Metal and Death
Woodrue acted quickly, as he knew that the Swamp Thing would try to help Sorrel gain his bearings. Jason approached Sorrel as a friend, and decided to help him. A few months before his transformation, Sorrel's son died, which caused a rift between him and his wife. Deciding that he didn't want his wife to be alone, Sorrel created "children" out of plant matter for his wife to care for.
Sorrel's wife happily accepted these children, however these children soon withered away due to Sorrel's suicidal nature, leaving his wife more distraught then before. Woodrue took his opportunity by convincing Sorrel to sleep, and to leave all of his worries for the future. As Sorrel slept, Woodrue cannibalized his body, effectively co-opting the power of the Parliament for himself.
- Avatar of the Green: Upon eating the body of Oleander Sorrel, Woodrue was transformed into the new avatar of the Green, becoming the most powerful wielder of the Green in the process. Due to his connection with the Green, Woodrue can communicate with plant-life, which forms a kind of intelligence network for him around the World.
- Chlorokinesis: As the avatar of the Green who is connected to all plant life on Earth, Floronic Man can manipulate and animate any plants to do his bidding. He can rapidly speed along the growth of plants, once transforming a small potted plant into a tree within the blink of an eye. He can also create vines to attack/ensnare etc. his opponents.
- Power Loss: Woodrue's powers rely upon his connection to the Green. If this is stripped from him, he is as powerless as any human.
- Yellow Power Ring: (Formerly)
- Jason Woodrue was created by Gardner Fox and Gil Kane, first appearing in The Atom #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Jason Woodrue first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Swamp Thing Annual (Volume 5) #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette.
- 26 Appearances of Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jason Woodrue (Prime Earth)
Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."
Injustice League member