Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I can do what I like, and get away with it. There's no judge. No god who'll punish me. A Christian saint rots in the same oblivion as the foulest Nazi killer.
- -- Jay Young src
Mindwarp is a super-powered being with self-serving motives. He is able to astrally project himself in a seizure soul with incredible powers.
Justice League Dark
Madame Xanadu selects Mindwarp for her team Justice League Dark, believing that he will help avert a great disaster she has foretold. Shade the Changing Man is sent to forcibly recruit him in Australia, and they fight each other before Young escapes. Despite this he assists in their final battle against the Enchantress, returning in a more powerful body. Mindwarp eventually leaves the team, citing that his seizure soul had begun to get out of control.
Peter Milligan has said about the character that "He enjoys life to the full. He's a man whose gift is his curse. Something of a playboy, he lives every day as though it might be his last, because if you're Mindwarp -- if you possess the ability that he does -- everyday really might be your last. He's a bit like Brad Pitt with an unexploded bomb up his arse." He calls himself an existential killer trying to find meaning in an empty void. Despite having been part of Justice League Dark, he describes himself as an individual and not a team player.
- Mindwarp was created by Peter Milligan and Brian Buccellato, first appearing in Flashpoint: Secret Seven #2. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Mindwarp first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League Dark #3 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin.
- 5 Appearances of Jay Young (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Jay Young (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jay Young (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jay Young (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.