Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- The sacred Order of St. Dumas was crumbling, and rotten. It had lost its way... we were founded in pursuit of great knowledge, but our leaders merely used our reach and power for their own gain. As with the Flood, and Sodom and Gommorah, our Lord knows how to weed out corruption. He had deemed me our new saint. And given me this great task. And in you, I have my holy instrument. God's great sword. Ascalon.
- -- Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley src
Once the sword of the Order of St. Dumas known as Azrael, Jean-Paul Valley, Sr. had his successor engineered as a virtual clone of himself by Mother, naming him Jean-Paul Valley. When he deemed the Order to have failed, he activated the artificial intelligence known as Ascalon to cleanse the Order of impurity, killing almost all members in the process.
When Ascalon returned following the lethal excommunication of Brother Kodo, the leader helped to separate the robot's thoughts from those of the perspective of the Suit of Sorrows, meanwhile claiming himself to be the new saint of the order in lieu of Dumas.
Following the fall of Ascalon, Valley was met by Ra's al Ghul, who claimed that Valley's work had exceeded all of his organization's hopes, and said that he had earned a seat at his table, something for which Valley had been hoping. He also claimed that they would do well to meet the organization's benefactor.
- Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley was created by Dennis O'Neil and Joe Quesada, first appearing in Batman: Sword of Azrael #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Detective Comics #960 by James Tynion IV and Álvaro Martínez.
- 3 Appearances of Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jean-Paul Ludovic Valley (Prime Earth)