Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Jefferson Pierce is a high school teacher, and the vigilante known as Black Lightning.
At first, Black Lightning operated in Los Angeles where he developed a partnership with Blue Devil. He valued this partnership so strongly that he did not want to join the Justice League without Blue Devil.
He retired from being a vigilante and moved back to Cleveland, where he grew up, with his father so his father can spend his last years surrounded by friends and family.
After his father's death, he resumed his Black Lightning identity.
Powers and Abilities
- Electrokinesis: Jefferson is able to generate and manipulate electricity for various purposes.
- Electro-Blast: Jefferson is capable of projecting the electricity he produces from his hands, as arcs and blasts.
- Electromagnetism: Jefferson's control over electricity allows him to manipulate electromagnetism for various purposes.
- Enhanced Senses: Jefferson's powers allow him to tap into the earth's electromagnetic energy, allowing him to sense disturbances in it.
- Force Field: Jefferson is able to create an electric force field capable of deflect bullets.
- Super-Leaping: Black Lightning can use an electro-magnetic push against a metal surface to throw himself incredibly far distances (a move that was taught to him by Cyborg). While escaping the police, Jefferson used their police car to shoot himself a dozen blocks in the air.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Jefferson possesses superhuman reflexes, as he has shown himself capable of dodging gunfire at close range.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Before becoming a superhero, Jefferson was made to train by his father so he could be prepared for his role as a vigilante. Jefferson was trained by former super-villain Amberjack in hand-to-hand combat.
- Pedagogy: While not patrolling the streets of Metropolis, Black Lightning teaches in a school.
- Stealth: Jefferson was trained by Batman in stealth.
- Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce) was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor von Eeden, first appearing in Black Lightning #1. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Marc Andreyko and Robson Rocha's New 52 DC Universe Presents series.
- Jefferson is aware of Batman's true identity - Bruce Wayne.
- Jefferson is a fan of Westworld.
- DC Universe Presents (Volume 1)
- Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands
- 74 Appearances of Jefferson Pierce (Prime Earth)
- 40 Images featuring Jefferson Pierce (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jefferson Pierce (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jefferson Pierce (Prime Earth)
- DC Universe Presents #13
- Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #1
- DC Universe Presents #16
- Justice League (Volume 2) #18
- Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 3) #14
- Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 3) #15
- Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #2
- DC Universe Presents #15
- Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #1
- Detective Comics #984
- Detective Comics #985
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.