- I'm something over a hundred years old and I'm not completely human. I live inside communications systems and I carry a lot of electricity around.
- — Jenny Mei Sparks src
Jenny Mei Sparks is an individual with a singular past. According to the dead shamans who inhabit the bardo known as "the Hospital", she is a techne - a spirit of the mechanical arts and crafts, empowered by the defining technology of her era, and created by unknown powers to defend the planet Earth.
Born at the beginning of the 20th century, Jenny Mei Sparks was an active participant in a meeting between International Operations, an American intelligence agency of frightening scope, and Skywatch, a secret space program who manage the solar system. If the meeting had been unsuccessful, the resulting conflict could have destroyed civilization. Fortunately, accord held, and the resulting agreements ("the nine treaties") maintained the peace.
However, the debate process was draining to Jenny, and an undisclosed amount of time afterwards, she succumbed to an extended bout of alcoholism.
Everyone Is Looking Up
Eventually realising that she could not be killed by alcohol, she forced herself to recover. Afterwards she took stock of the world, how it had changed since the talks, and how much longer the treaties would hold.
Using her existing knowledge, she constructed a pinboard in her Whitechapel flat, containing all the pieces of salient information and half-mad story she thought might be pertinent to the big picture, and then, she went looking for more.
- Unique Physiology: Jenny Sparks is a "techne," a spirit of the mechanical arts and crafts, empowered by the defining technology of her era. She identifies herself as living in the Internet.
- Enhanced Senses: Jenny can sense the presence of others within the Internet.
- Immortality: Jenny has been alive for over a hundred twenty years and still resembles a healthy young woman. She is apparently incapable of death from alcoholism.
- Metamorphosis: Can transforms herself into a massive version of herself composed of electricity.
- Teleportation: She can teleport by using existing telecommunications signals.
- Power Limitation: When removed from an environment with active telecom signals, she reported a headache and a possibility of vomiting.
Jenny Sparks was created by Warren Ellis and Tom Raney, first appearing in StormWatch #37. However, in The Wild Storm continuity her first appearance is in Warren Ellis and Jon Davis-Hunt's The Wild Storm #3.
- Jenny, Angie Spica, Jack Hawksmoor and Shen Li-Men engaged in a night of sex, with Jenny having had sex with Shen beforehand, making the three women at least bisexual.
- Jenny claims to have slept with both Rita Hayworth and Orson Wells, though she doesn't remember if it was while they were married or not.
- 15 Appearances of Jennifer Mei Sparks (The Wild Storm)
- 7 Images featuring Jennifer Mei Sparks (The Wild Storm)
- 3 Quotations by or about Jennifer Mei Sparks (The Wild Storm)
- Character Gallery: Jennifer Mei Sparks (The Wild Storm)
This character exists under the Wildstorm Imprint, and their continuity takes place within the Wildstorm Titles. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Wildstorm Characters."