Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Jeremiah Arkham is the head doctor at Arkham Asylum.
During the Joker's endgame, Arkham, in a bout of insanity and perhaps instructed to do so by the Joker, came into the asylum disguised as the Joker, and released bombs of Joker Gas, as well as taking out the power, allowing the inmates and patients to escape their cells. With control over all non-chemically altered inmates (aside from those such as the Riddler, who followed the "Joker" out of fear), he had his jokerised minions kill several of the guards in the asylum, taunting them as he did so.
With the only escaping survivors surrounded, Arkham taunted them about their imminent deaths until, in a fit of rage, the last remaining guard punched him in the face, exposing his true identity by causing his wig to fall off. This caused all of the inmates, no longer in fear of Arkham since he wasn't the Joker, to run towards him, shouting "Kill him!"
Though the guard tried to protect Arkham, the two seemed doomed until the police arrived, controlled the mob, and threw Arkham into his own cell.
- Jeremiah Arkham was created by Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle, first appearing in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Tony S. Daniel's New 52 Detective Comics series.
- Jeremiah is involved in a continuity issue during the New 52; he appears in Detective Comics (Volume 2) #1 as a doctor in Arkham Asylum once again, but in Batman (Volume 2) #1 he is an inmate fighting Batman. To further confuse the situation, in Batman (Volume 2) #8 he is listed as one of the targets of the Court of Owls, his occupation noted as the head of Arkham Asylum. He also appears in Batman (Volume 3) #9, despite having previously launched a major assault on his own asylum in Arkham Manor: Endgame #1.
- 31 Appearances of Jeremiah Arkham (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Jeremiah Arkham (Prime Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Jeremiah Arkham (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jeremiah Arkham (Prime Earth)