- — Jesse Chambers src
Her father taught Jesse the formula that let him draw energy from the Speed Force, 3x2(9yz)4a, hoping that she would become a super-hero. However, she devoted her life instead to studying superheroes of the past.
While Jesse was studying at Gotham University, the first superhero team, of which her parents had been colleagues, the Justice Society of America, re-emerged, following a long absence. Naturally, her thesis topic became "The Impact of Superheroes on Society" and she began to follow the returned heroes, cataloging their adventures. When her father asked her to deliver some documents to the Society, that encounter would result in her aiding the team as Jesse Quick, finally living up to her father's dream of her being a costumed crime fighter.
Wally West and Max Mercury brought in Jesse to help teach Bart Allen the ways of the super-speed. Wally, realizing that he may not come back from the Speed Force, asked Jesse to take on the mantle of the Flash in the event of that happening. However, she saw through his plan. He had really intended for Bart to be the next Flash, but had given the honor to Jesse to provoke him into actually getting serious. When Wally was trying to save Linda Park from a laser blast from Kobra, Jesse got him out of the way in time to save him, but not enough to save herself. The laser nearly severed her leg. She tried metabolizing the wound at super-speed, but it didn't work. However, when Wally returned from the Speed Force, he was able to heal her leg.
Even though he had healed her, Jesse still felt animosity towards Wally for having used her.
When, shortly after, Jesse lost her enhanced speed, the person she blamed was Wally who had been directly using the Speed Force energies instead of simply tapping them like the other speedsters did. In fact it turned out to be the villain Savitar who was the cause, having severed her connection to the Speed Force, as well as multiple other speedsters. Nonetheless, Wally chose the depowered Jesse to accompany him to Savitar's lair, where she succeeded in regaining her powers. During the following battle with Savitar, her father gave his life in order to protect his daughter from one of Savitar's forces and merged with the Speed Force. Although Wally would ultimately triumph over the villain, Jesse was left to mourn her father.
Jesse accepted the reins of managing her father's corporation, Quickstart Enterprises, while also operating as Jesse Quick, even joining the members of the New Titans to stop a nuclear threat. When the Titans were later going through a reorganization, Wally, a founding member, selected Jesse to join the roster, hoping to soothe their old wounds. After initially declining the offer, she ultimately joined the Titans, but was only on the team for a short time, feeling herself to be second-best to Wally.
Nightwing, another founding member, persuaded Jesse to return to the Titans. Later Jesse became involved in a murder mystery involving her own widowed mother, Libby Lawrence. The victim was Philip Geyer, Libby's fiancé. An investigation by the Titans revealed not only the killer, but also an ongoing affair between Philip and Jesse which had contributed to his death. Although Jesse attempted to reconcile with her mother, the saddened Libby found it hard to forgive her daughter, although she apparently did, as in later appearances the two had returned to their friendly relationship. The Titans were disbanded not long afterwards, as two of the team's members were killed in an attack by a rogue Superman robot
For a time, Jesse remained in Pittsburgh, where she was constantly needed to fight supervillain threats and she was never available to help Flash. When she finally managed to return to Keystone, she was able to save Linda from a certain death as her house was blown to pieces. Jesse then tried to interrogate a possible suspect, but the man killed himself. Moments later, Flash rejoined Linda and Jesse returned to her city.
Following that disbanding of the team, Jesse threw herself back into her responsibilities at Quickstart Enterprises, finding little time for a social life. When Wally would later need assistance to defeat the villain Zoom who was capable of moving at speeds surpassing any of Earth's other speedsters, Jesse lent Wally a portion of her special abilities, temporarily boosting Wally's speed so that he was moving almost faster than light and allowing him to defeat Zoom, but leaving her powerless and unable to remember the formula to access her powers. Although Wally knew the formula, she told him not to remind her, reminding him that he'd earlier told her that she needed to slow down anyway.
Since then, she has taken a new position as business manager for a newly-reformed Justice Society of America. Jesse was affected by the disappearance of Rick Tyler, the JSA member known as Hourman, to whom she had grown quite close, but he has since returned. A reunion between the two has not been shown, although she did meet the JSA when they were able to rescue her mother, who had returned to her role as Liberty Belle, but whose powers had gone out of control. In that same adventure, mother and daughter reconciled.
One Year Later
After hearing the news of Bart's death she, along with Jay Garrick, mourned his demise; her reaction to Wally West's return from the Speed Force is as yet unknown.
In an encounter with Zoom, it is revealed that Jesse has retained her speed powers by repeating her father's formula. This of course, adds onto her super-strength which means she inherited both of her parents powers.
Following a crisis involving both the JLA and the JSA, Jesse decided to join the League alongside the newly-returned Jade. While serving on the League, she seemingly retained her JSA membership as well.
- Superhuman Strength: She possesses super-strength like her mother. As with her mother, the mechanism of this ability remains unexplained, which irritated her father.
- Jesse has a connection to the speed force which happens to be related to her visualization of the speed-formula: 3x2(9YZ)4A. These formulas function as mantras that connect Jesse with the Speed Force, and few other people can utilize them. Jesse is able to move at roughly half-light speed.
- Speed Force Conduit: Speed force conduits possess a connection to the Speed Force, a cosmic force that allows its users to push the boundaries that keep time and space. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of their physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Accelerated Healing: By having a connection to the speed force, every speed force conduit has an incredibly fast healing factor and can heal from most injuries in seconds and devastating injuries in minutes.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive and process thoughts faster than the normal person.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such as friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Speed Force grants its conduits with a great increase of stamina, allowing them to fight or run much longer than the average person. Although a great increase, it is not unlimited.
- Superhuman Speed: The universal factor of being a Speed Force conduit grants its user with imperceptible amounts of speed. All powers that conduits possess derives from their speed.. This also confers:
- Superhuman Agility: The speedster's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows them to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes: In conjunction with their enhanced senses, The speedster's reflexes are heightened immesurably, allowing them to dodge or react faster than normal.
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- 293 Appearances of Jesse Chambers (New Earth)
- 98 Images featuring Jesse Chambers (New Earth)
- 7 Quotations by or about Jesse Chambers (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jesse Chambers (New Earth)
- Jesse Chambers at Wikipedia
- Liberty Belle/Jesse Quick at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
- Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle at Titans Tower
- ↑ Flash Vol 2 170
- ↑ Flash Vol 2 172
- ↑ Flash Vol 2 173
- ↑ Being a speed force conduit conveys some core powers as demonstrated by Barry Allen and Wally West.
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 5) #73
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 The Flash (Volume 2) #1
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #76
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #63
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ The Flash (Volume 2) #74
Justice Society of America member
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found