Jessica Cruz went on a hunting trip with her friends and unfortunately came across mobsters who were burying a body. Unwilling to have witnesses, the mobsters shot and killed Jessica's friends while Jessica herself managed to escape, but was extremely traumatized by the incident. Jessica developed debilitating anxiety and locked herself in her room for 4 years.
During the Crime Syndicate's rule, she was unwillingly chosen by the Ring of Volthoom, after its former bearer, Harold Jordan of Earth 3, was killed by Sinestro. Unlike the ring's predecessors, the ring forced itself upon Jessica and took over her body. Under the influence of the ring, she attacked her home town and was confronted by the Justice League and Doom Patrol. Through the intervention of Batman, Jessica was able to overcome the ring's influence when he told her that he was a victim like her and that finding strength, even at their worst moment of despair, will overcome their fears.
Allying herself with the Justice League, the Flash called in Hal Jordan, Earth's first Green Lantern, to teach Jessica how to stay in control of her ring. With Hal's help, Jessica mastered the use of the foreign ring.
When Darkseid's daughter Grail arrived on Earth, she attacked Jessica and used her ring to summon the Anti-Monitor to fight her father.
Thinking of ways to stop the fighting between the Anti-Monitor and Darkseid, Jessica helped Mister Miracle break out the Crime Syndicate in order to fight the rampaging monsters. The ring being in close proximity to the Syndicate however overwhelmed Jessica, and the being inside the ring possessed her body and mind.
When Grail summoned the Black Racer, the New God of Death, to kill the Flash, Jessica maintained enough control of her body to jump in the path of the Black Racer and seemingly kill herself to save the Flash. The Black Racer though, managed to kill the entity in her ring controlling her, causing her Power Ring to crumble apart on her finger. For her ability to overcome fear, Jessica was then tracked down and bestowed a Green Lantern Ring, becoming Earth's newest Green Lantern.
Green Lanterns: Rebirth
After the Darkseid War, Jessica was kicked out of her apartment and, at the orders of Hal Jordan himself, to test her and another new Earth Green Lantern Simon Baz, which they failed due to their lack of teamwork. Simon started blaming her and the two got in an argument. Before it got serious, Hal stopped them & made them summon their power batteries. He combined their power batteries to one making them partners. They had no choice but work together as a team.Even though she had become an official Green Lantern, she was struggling to get the hang of her powers and her anxiety was not making it easy for her. Simon was unhappy being stuck with her. The situation got even worse when Red Lantern Corps attacked Earth to make it their new world full of rage. Jessica was with her sister Sara Cruz when they got attacked and the Red Lanterns filled her sister with rage. Simon rescued her, causing more tension between them. She returned the favour to him later but it was revealed that she had gotten in his way of curing the Red Lantern Bleez. They try their best to not make any more mistakes but things got even worse when she got infected by rage. They fell into the surface of the Earth and Simon tried to cure her as he did the Red Lantern earlier. This time he succeeds and he encourages her to help him fight off the Red Lanterns. However she got a panic attack in the middle of the battle. She did her best to control her negative thoughts and stay aware of the anxiety that was causing her panic. She started to fight with her fears and her willpower increased when she formed her first construct during doing so. She helped Simon to take down the Red Lantern leader Atros. After that, they finally got along and accepted each other as partners. Later as they arrived at Simon's house, a Guardian of the Universe was waiting for them. He demanded that he needed to see Hal Jordan 'Legendary Green Lantern of sector 2814'. But Hal was in space not answering their calls. The guardian revealed himself as Rami the rogue guardian and he was the creator of the Phantom Ring.
Simon and Jessica joined Justice League by order of Hal Jordan, at some time.
Halloween and then Phantom Lantern
It was Halloween and Jessica was having a hard time fighting her social anxiety to hang out with Simon's family. She even tried to run away but Simon stopped her before she finds Darkseid and see what's he's doing for dinner. Simon promised her if she helps him make cookies she doesn't have to make small talks with his family. By the time they were done Guardian Rami was missing and they went to find him. They finally found him after knocking about 28 doors, unfortunately, he was freaked out and ran away again. Next time the Lanterns were not going to let him go as easily, they chased him and caught up to him. When they were comforting him they got attacked by aliens called Dominators who wanted the Phantom Ring to themselves. Simon and Jessica were able to take them down and protect the phantom ring. And finally, Rami explains about Phantom Ring and how it was most dangerous weapon in the universe.
- Omega Effect: After being killed by Darkseid's Omega Beams, Jessica's body became saturated with the Omega Effect which the shards of her Green Lantern Ring used to resurrect her.
- Summoning: Due to her being the last person to wield the Ring of Volthoom, Jessica is capable of summoning the power of the Green Realm and banishing others to it in turn.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Jessica was trained by Wonder Woman, in the art of combat.
- Indomitable Will
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: After witnessing the murders of her friends, Jessica has suffered from crippling anxiety for years. On some days rescuing a submarine would be nothing, but on others fighting a villain with an outlandish costume would be too much to process.
- General and Social Anxiety: Jessica struggles with anxiety in social situations and in general circumstances. She can quickly spiral into negative, fearful thinking.
- Green Lantern Ring
- Ring of Volthoom (Formerly)
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!"
- While she was mentioned in Green Lantern (Volume 5) #20, her first actual appearance in cameo was in Justice League (Volume 2) #30, while her first full appearance was in Justice League (Volume 2) #31.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- 209 Appearances of Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- 162 Images featuring Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- 18 Quotations by or about Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.