- I almost died fighting alongside the Justice League. I lost one ring... Then I got another. Even though there's already something like four Green Lanterns from Earth. But why?
- — Green Lantern Jessica Cruz src
Jessica Cruz went on a hunting trip with her friends and unfortunately came across mobsters who were burying a body. Unwilling to have witnesses, the mobsters shot and killed Jessica's friends while Jessica herself managed to escape, but was extremely traumatized by the incident. Jessica developed debilitating anxiety and locked herself in her room for 4 years.
During the Crime Syndicate's rule, she was unwillingly chosen by the Ring of Volthoom, after its former bearer, Harold Jordan of Earth 3, was killed by Sinestro. Unlike the ring's predecessors, the ring forced itself upon Jessica and took over her body. Under the influence of the ring, she attacked her home town and was confronted by the Justice League and Doom Patrol. Through the intervention of Batman, Jessica was able to overcome the ring's influence when he told her that he was a victim like her and that finding strength, even at their worst moment of despair, will overcome their fears.
Allying herself with the Justice League, the Flash called in Hal Jordan, Earth's first Green Lantern, to teach Jessica how to stay in control of her ring. With Hal's help, Jessica mastered the use of the foreign ring.
When Darkseid's daughter Grail arrived on Earth, she attacked Jessica and used her ring to summon the Anti-Monitor to fight her father.
Thinking of ways to stop the fighting between the Anti-Monitor and Darkseid, Jessica helped Mister Miracle break out the Crime Syndicate in order to fight the rampaging monsters. The ring being in close proximity to the Syndicate however overwhelmed Jessica, and the being inside the ring possessed her body and mind.
When Grail summoned the Black Racer, the New God of Death, to kill the Flash, Jessica maintained enough control of her body to jump in the path of the Black Racer and seemingly kill herself to save the Flash. The Black Racer though, managed to kill the entity in her ring controlling her, causing her Power Ring to crumble apart on her finger. For her ability to overcome fear, Jessica was then tracked down and bestowed a Green Lantern Ring, becoming Earth's newest Green Lantern.
Green Lanterns: Rebirth
green lantern ring
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: After witnessing the murders of her friends, Jessica has suffered from crippling anxiety for years. On some days rescuing a submarine would be nothing, but on others fighting a villain with an outlandish costume would be too much to process.
- Ring of Volthoom (Formerly)
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!"
- While she was mentioned in Green Lantern (Volume 5) #20, her first actual appearance in cameo was in Justice League (Volume 2) #30, while her first full appearance was in Justice League (Volume 2) #31.
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- 201 Appearances of Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- 153 Images featuring Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- 17 Quotations by or about Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jessica Cruz (Prime Earth)
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.