The Backwards Man was an enemy of Green Lantern (Alan Scott).
He was arrested, convicted and jailed for a crime he claims he didn't commit. This experience apparently embittered him so much that upon his release, he became a criminal in earnest, and feeling that the law had worked in reverse by imprisoning him before he'd committed a crime. He became the Backwards Man, the criminal who commits crimes in reverse.
Hiring a gang, Able devised a clever scheme. By using frozen volatile chemicals, and molding them into the shapes of valuable items, Able was ready to deposit these in such places as banks, museums and jewelry stores amidst a raucous invasion…an invasion that looked like a robbery, but which, at that time, was not. Later, when the "valuables" Able and his gang left behind had thawed out, they exploded, and Able's men would return at that time to loot the place for real. Thus, the crime had been committed in a backwards fashion. Additionally, Able communicated with his gang via radio, speaking the words of his commands backwards to confuse people.
Ultimately, Able and his men were confronted and captured by Green Lantern Alan Scott. Able was once more sent to prison.
- This version of John Able (Earth-Two), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of John Able (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring John Able (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about John Able (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: John Able (Earth-Two)
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."