- My name is John Constantine. I am the one who steps on the shadows, all trench coat and arrogance. I'll drive your demons away, kick 'em in the bollocks, and spit on them when they're down, leaving only a nod and a wink and a wisecrack. I walk my path alone because, let's be honest... who would be crazy enough to walk it with me?
- — John Constantine src
John Constantine is an occult detective and an old associate of Green Arrow. He joined the Legends in hopes of eluding the demon, Neron, and to combat the magical creatures that swamped Earth after Mallus's destruction.
John Constantine's mother died giving birth to him, leading his father to give him the nickname "Killer". Constantine suffered an abusive childhood, constantly being slapped and hit around by his alcoholic father. When Constantine was a teenager, he started to read everything he could on the occult, spells, and rituals, practicing and learning how to use them.
An incident in Newcastle lead to the young daughter of a friend being taken by the demon Nergal. This event haunted Constantine, and as a result, he had himself committed to Ravenscar. Constantine eventually checked himself out after receiving a message relating to a woman named Liv Aberdeen. Constantine tracked Liv down, and after telling her about her father and giving her a pendant that allowed her to see spirits, Liv reluctantly joined Constantine's mission to exorcise demons. However, Constantine scared her off of the mission, not believing her ready for exorcism.
John traveled to Lian Yu to retrieve an ancient spell book called the Orb of Horus, however he was caught by Baron Reiter's men and interrogated. John performed a spell to free himself from his handcuffs and held Oliver Queen at gunpoint, who had secretly been working as a spy to infiltrate Reiter's organization, and used him as leverage to escape the compound. John had Oliver forcibly escort him to the area he sought out and performed a spell to uncover the hidden passageway. John eventually found the Orb of Horus and although it set off a trap which Oliver saved him from being killed by. After exiting the cave, John thanked Oliver for saving his life and gave Oliver part of the Orb to give to Reiter, as the rod itself is what contained the magic. John also used the rod to transfer a magical tattoo on his arm onto Oliver's torso, and insisted he'd know what to do with it when the time came. Oliver then requested for John to knock him out, as part of his "escape".
The Rising Darkness
Restoring Sara Lance's soul
John eventually received a call from his old friend Oliver Queen, asking him to restore the soul of Sara Lance. John accepted and performed a ritual that transported himself, Oliver, and Laurel Lance to the spirit world in order to free Sara's soul.
Powers and Abilities
- Magic: John is highly skilled in the use of magic and is able to utilize multiple forms of it, including both light and dark magic. He knows various spells and incantations that allow him to use magic for various purposes. John is able to utilize some spells by simply speaking incantations, however some spells require certain ingredients, such as blood. Some of John's spells also require him to call upon the power of deities, such as Hades, to transport to Hell, or Hecate to open a magically sealed door.
- Aerokinesis: John used one spell to manipulate the air around him, creating a large vortex of wind.
- Biokinesis: John can use a spell to temporarily stop a person's heart. He also knows a spell that instantly puts a person to sleep.
- Binding Spell: John can use a spell to create magical binds to tie up enemies and hold them in place.
- Deflection: John can use spells to repel attacks from others. He was able to use one spell to deflect a telekinetic attack from Damien Darhk.
- Dimensional Travel: John was able to use a ritual that allowed him to travel to the spirit world. He also used this technique to look into the realm of Mallus. John can also create vortexes to Hell that pull demons and other entities into it.
- Energy Transference: John was able to transfer a portion of his life-force into a dying child who was drained of his own life-force energy, however this left him severely weakened.
- Exorcism: John is able to exorcise spirits that are demonic or ghostly in origin from their hosts, by chanting incantations.
- Illusion Casting
- Magic Negation: John was able to use a spell to negate a cloaking spell that had been placed on a building, in order to reveal it.
- Molecular Reconstruction: John can use magic to transmutate objects. He was able to transform a knife into a feather through a spell.
- Necromancy: John is able to utilize multiple spells involving the dead, such as allowing spirits to move on to the afterlife, or releasing a soul from purgatory.
- Phasing: John knows a spell that allowed him to phase in and out of the ground below him, to avoid an attack.
- Power Distribution: John used a spell to give Chas Chandler the power to resurrect from the dead a certain number of times. He was also able to transfer a magical tattoo of his own to Oliver Queen, which allowed him to channel Light Magic.
- Pyrokinesis: John is able engulf his hands in flames at will. He commonly uses this ability to hurl fire-balls. John's hands have also shown to engulf in flames when banishing demons. When John banished Furcifer to Hell, it created a massive vortex of fire. His power over fire also can cause his eyes to glow fiery orange at times.
- Summoning: John can use magic to summon demons or other spirits. He was able to summon the demon Nergal.
- Telekinesis: John can use magic to manipulate the movement of people or objects. He was even strong enough to hold back Neron temporarily.
- Escapology: He has no difficulty getting out of police handcuffs. Zipties are another story.
- Entomology: John was able to immediately recognize Khapra beetles implying he knows insects and could tell them apart very well.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Jasper Winters's millhouse: Jasper Winters's millhouse has several mystical artifacts, including:
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Constantine and is an adaptation of John Constantine. The original character was created by Alan Moore and Steve Bissette and first appeared in Swamp Thing (Volume 2) #37.
- John Constantine is played by Matt Ryan.
- 68 Appearances of John Constantine (Arrowverse)
- 9 Images featuring John Constantine (Arrowverse)
- 8 Quotations by or about John Constantine (Arrowverse)
- Character Gallery: John Constantine (Arrowverse)
- Constantine (TV Series) Episode: The Darkness Beneath
- Constantine (TV Series) Episode: A Feast of Friends
- Constantine (TV Series) Episode: The Saint of Last Resorts: Part II
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: Hey, World!
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: Miss Me, Kiss Me, Love Me
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: The Great British Fake Off
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: The Ex-Factor
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: Bored On Board Onboard
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series) Episode: Necromancing the Stone
- "Non Est Asylum"
- "Zari, Not Zari""
- "Meet the Legends""
- "Slay Anything""
- "I Am Legends""
- "Quid Pro Quo"
- "The Getaway""
- "Mr. Parker's Cul-De-Sac"
- "A Whole World Out There"
- "Legends of To-Meow-Meow"
- "Wet Hot American Bummer"
- "Séance and Sensibility"
- "Hey, World!"
- "Swan Thong"
- "Egg MacGuffin"
- "Danse Vaudou"
- "The Devil's Vinyl"
- "Daddy Darhkest"