Dr. John Deegan was a psychiatrist working at Arkham Asylum in Gotham City. Deegan's progressive and unorthodox methods of treatment were treated with disdain amongst his peers. One night after a failed presentation for his new ideas, Deegan was approached by an unknown individual with an offer to become a god, granting Deegan a book that he used to re-write reality, as Oliver Queen became the Flash and Barry Allen became the Green Arrow.
Deegan was tracked to Gotham City by the two heroes through the help of Cisco Ramon's vibe. Oliver drew Deegan's face from memory and ran it through a face-recognition program, discovering Deegan worked at Arkham. Flash, Green Arrow, Cisco, Supergirl, Killer Frost, and John Diggle infiltrated the Asylum, confronting Deegan, who revealed to them that he attempted to gain powers with the book but caused the swap instead. Deegan tried escaping with the book but was stopped by Supergirl and had the book taken away from him. Deegan was later re-approached with the book from the same individual as earlier, and was told to "dream bigger".
Deegan used the book again, completely changing reality. He made himself Superman with a personal army, and turned Barry and Oliver into the criminal pair known as the Trigger Twins, turning the whole of Central City against them. The Trigger Twins get help from Mr. Ramon to breach to Earth-38 and retrieve the real Superman. Returning to Deegan's reality, both Supermen battle it out in the skies of Central City, while Barry, Supergirl, and Alex Danvers go to the time vault in S.T.A.R. Labs to retrieve the special book. They get the book to the real Superman, who was able to turn reality back to normal. Deegan recovered the book again, but the combined efforts of Barry and Supergirl slowing the down the time of Earth, Lois Lane knocking Deegan back with a special hammer, and Oliver shooting an explosive arrow into the book ended the crisis for good, horribly disfiguring Deegan's face. Deegan ended up in Arkham Asylum, becoming friends with fellow inmate, Roger Hayden.
When Deegan changed reality with the Book of Destiny, he granted himself the powers of Superman.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supermans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Book of Destiny: Granted to Deegan by the Monitor, the book allowed him to rewrite reality as he saw fit.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Flash, its tie-in comic book series, and its related television series. It is an adaptation of John Dee/Doctor Destiny. The original character was created by Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky and first appeared in Justice League of America #5.
- John Deegan was portrayed by Jeremy Davies.
- 3 Appearances of John Deegan (Arrow)
- 4 Images featuring John Deegan (Arrow)
- 1 Quotations by or about John Deegan (Arrow)
- Character Gallery: John Deegan (Arrow)
|Green Arrow Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Green Arrow, or his supporting cast including Black Canary and Team Arrow. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Arrow Villains."