Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
John Grayson was one of the three acrobats in the Haly's Circus group "the Flying Graysons" and the father of Dick Grayson, who would go on one day to become Nightwing. He and his wife, Mary Grayson, were murdered by Tony Zucco when he rigged their trapezes.
John Grayson was a young acrobat who performed for Haly's Circus. His performance partner was Mary Lloyd and the two had feelings for each other, but neither had the courage to admit it. One day, Tony Zucco took his mail order bride Meili Lin to Haly’s Circus. Wanting to escape Tony’s abuse, she fled into the crowd and took refuge in John’s trailer. The circus performers chased Zucco off and Meili began working and travelling with the circus. She started a romantic relationship with John and became pregnant with their daughter. When the circus passed through Star City Zucco kidnapped her, then ambushed John from behind and broke his hand. John looked for Meili, but Zucco had taken her far away to Bludhaven. He did not know Meili was pregnant when she was taken.
Zucco always suspected that Melinda was not his child, and eventually murdered John and Mary.
Powers and Abilities
- John Grayson was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, first appearing in Detective Comics #38. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, John Grayson first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Nightwing (Volume 3) #3 by Kyle Higgins, Eddy Barrows, and Eduardo Pansica.
- 52 Appearances of John Grayson (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring John Grayson (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about John Grayson (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: John Grayson (Prime Earth)