John Henry Irons was a weapons engineer at LexCorp. After Luthor pushed the introduction of the Series Alpha police armor forward, Irons quit his job. He was soon proven right - Corey Mills, who wore the suit, could not bear it and his nervous system overloaded. Irons went on to perfect the suit, and soon after donned it and took the name "Steel". He saved Superman in a fight with Metallo.
After the Thanagarian invasion, he joined the Justice League. He was close to Supergirl, and together with Atom he served as the league's top engineer. He was severely wounded - and his armor destroyed - in a fight with Galatea, but managed to recover quickly.
Powers and Abilities
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering: Steel, along with Aztek, Atom and STRIPE, often helps repair the Justice League Watchtower whenever damage in their specific area occurs.
- Robotic Engineering
- Kinetic Hammer: John Irons has a powerful rivet hammer which can fire blasts of thermal energy.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of John Henry Irons/Steel. The original character was created by Louise Simonson and Jon Bogdanove and first appeared in Adventures of Superman #500.
- Steel was voiced by Michael Dorn for the animated series Superman: and by Phil LaMarr for the animated series Justice League Unlimited.
- 29 Appearances of John Henry Irons (DCAU)
- 8 Images featuring John Henry Irons (DCAU)
- 1 Quotations by or about John Henry Irons (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: John Henry Irons (DCAU)
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.