After a backfired weapons test left Dr. Irons' best friend, Susan Sparks, paraplegic, he vowed to take revenge on the man responsible. Irons witnesses a bank robbery organized by gang members wielding Burke's modified guns; they escape before he can interrogate them on where they obtained the weapons. The gang does not tell Irons anything when confronted directly in their hideout. Irons visits Sparks in a veteran's hospital and takes her to his own assembled laboratory, where he hopes he and Sparks can create weapons needed to combat the criminals. With the help of Uncle Joe they forge a suit of armor and the weaponry necessary for Irons to carry out his war on crime and become the vigilante "Steel". However, during his crusade against crime, Irons is pursued by the cops and is forced to return to his lair. The next night, the robbers arrange to rob another bank. Irons, as Steel, tries to stop them, but is hindered by the robbers' weapons. When Irons returns to his grandmother's house, he is arrested.
When Irons is released from jail, Sparky is captured by Burke's thugs. Irons, as Steel, attempts to infiltrate Burke's headquarters, but is captured himself in the process. When Burke continues with the auction, he is tricked by Steel, which allows him and Sparks to rebel and destroy Burke's lair. Burke himself is killed when a laser he fires towards Steel reflects back towards him due to Steel's suit.
- Steel Armor
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the film Steel and is an adaptation of John Henry Irons/Steel. The original character was created by Louise Simonson and Jon Bogdanove and first appeared in Adventures of Superman #500.
- Steel was portrayed by Shaquille O'Neal.
- 2 Appearances of John Henry Irons (Steel Movie)
- 3 Images featuring John Henry Irons (Steel Movie)
- Quotations by or about John Henry Irons (Steel Movie)
- Character Gallery: John Henry Irons (Steel Movie)