- I need wide open spaces for this experiment!
- — John Law, Scientective src
As a young scientist, John Law was forced to study law, just to protect this own inventions, and this in turn led him into the field of criminology. He invented the job of "Scientective," and opened a Law Office - Laboratory. He made extensive use of the science of his day to solve some crimes that were otherwise unsolvable. Most if not all of these crimes were orchestrated from behind the scenes by one shadowy villain, "the Avenger," who concocted a series of elaborate terror schemes against a group of thirteen wealthy tycoons. The Avenger is believed to be dead.
- John Law has a Cyclatron in his office, downtown.
- This version of John Law, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- This series ran from Smash Comics #3, Oct 1939 to #12, July 1940, ten episodes, at 7 pages apiece.
- John Law lives in a city whose main railroad passenger station is called "Grand Central." In real history, Chicago had a Grand Central Station, and New York City had a Grand Central Terminal, so he lived in one of those two towns. The prison near John Law's home city is "Sing Sing," which narrows it down to one: New York City.
- 10 Appearances of John Law (Quality Universe)
- 1 Images featuring John Law (Quality Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about John Law (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: John Law (Quality Universe)