The Time Commander was an enemy of Bruce Wayne who could control time with an hourglass.
John Starr was a scientist who turned to crime and was eventually arrested and convicted. Native to Gotham City, he was locked in a special prison, in which he developed a time controlling device in the shape of an hourglass and used it to escape prison. He tried to convince the people that he had been framed and that he should be exonerated. However, when the authorities refused to clear Starr's name, he became the costumed criminal known as The Time Commander. Using his time hourglass, he learned that Bruce Wayne was in fact the Batman and Starr impersonated Wayne as Batman. He contacted Green Lantern and tricked him into giving him some of his powers. With Batman's appearance and Green Lantern's powers, Time Commander started a fantastic criminal spree on Gotham in order to force the authorities to clear Starr's name. Batman and Green Lantern tried to stop him, but the cunning criminal used his time controlling device to send Green Lantern one day to the past and Batman one day to the future. Starr's victory was almost assured, but the heroes managed to work together from different points in time and stopped Starr by destroying his hourglass. Without his time controlling device, Batman and Green Lantern returned to the present and John Starr was once again placed under police custody.
Starr managed to escape from prison and he tricked Green Lantern again in order to use the power of the Green Lantern Ring to bring back the powerful being called Cosmo. This creature was created by Dr. Elijah Carruthers, Starr's former employer and a great scientist, but he destroyed the creature for its imperfect nature. Using the power of the ring, Starr brought Cosmo from the past, but he couldn't control the monster and was forced to use his time-travel clock to save himself. Starr witnessed Cosmo's destruction of Gotham City until it was stopped by Batman, Green Lantern and Elijah Carruthers. Starr materialized and tried to get the control of Cosmo a second time, but he failed and his attempt allowed Batman to capture him once again.
- Time Commander's Hourglass: The Time Commander's hourglass allows him to control time, allowing him to travel through time, move objects or beings through time and manipulate time in various ways. It was also capable of creating hardlight constructs similar to Green Lantern in his first outing as Time Commander; it's not known if he can still use this ability.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 18 Appearances of John Starr (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring John Starr (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about John Starr (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: John Starr (New Earth)
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."