Johnny Peril is a detective of the occult and "adventurer of the weird."
Peril was a lieutenant in the Army Air Corps in World War II, and was once shot down by Japanese fighters over Burma. He later found work as a newspaper reporter, and had his first encounter with the paranormal when he solved the murder of one Phillip Murzon with, apparently, the aid of Murzon's ghost. His exploits have taken him to several unexpected places. He has battled baddies in his hometown in New York, to the jungles of the Congo, and even on the moon.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Seamanship: He was skipper of a LST ship.
Gun and knife.
- "Mr. Nobody" appeared as a nameless protagonist in Comic Cavalcade #19. "Johnny Peril" debuted in Comic Cavalcade #22, but Justice League of America #116 retroactively established that Mr. Nobody and Johnny Peril were the same person.
- Johnny's feature in the Golden Age ran as a backup through Comic Cavalcade, All-Star Comics, Sensation Comics, Danger Trail and Sensation Mystery before cancellation. He was revived in the late Silver Age in The Unexpected #106, and again in Unexpected #200 in 1980.
- Johnny Peril presumably existed on Earth-Two. In his original feature in the 1940s, he was portrayed as a veteran of World War II, while in his later appearances in Unexpected, he had not visibly aged.
- This version of Johnny Peril (New Earth), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 65 Appearances of Johnny Peril (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Johnny Peril (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Johnny Peril (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Johnny Peril (New Earth)