""Dark Knight of the Scarecrow"": A group of girls are at a slumber party, which is actually a planned prank organized by a popular girl named Heather against an unpopular girl named Lindsay. Heather and her friends are talking and preparing everything for their victim, Lindsay, who came shortly
- But what frightens you, I wonder? What makes you, gentle reader, soak your pants and run screaming for your momma when the lights go out? I have some thoughts on the subject, to be sure... but why not consult an expert on such things? Why, I just have the man in mind. But be careful... this doctor of psychiatry isn't just a perennial favorite among the inmates at dear old Arkham Asylum... He's also a client!
- — Joker
Appearing in "Dark Knight of the Scarecrow"
- The Joker (Narrator)
- Commissioner Gordon
- An unnamed girl
- Two unnamed boys
- Gotham City
- Heather's Residence
- Doctor Crane's Office
- Fear Gas
- Scarecrow's knife
Synopsis for "Dark Knight of the Scarecrow"
A group of girls are at a slumber party, which is actually a planned prank organized by a popular girl named Heather against an unpopular girl named Lindsay. Heather and her friends are talking and preparing everything for their victim, Lindsay, who came shortly after they finished preparing a hidden camera for the prank. Heather and the other gave Lindsay a warm welcome and when they were entering the house they see a scarecrow outside the house which they believed it was placed by Heather's accomplice and ex-boyfriend Jack.
- In a clinic, a psychiatrist spoke with Lindsay about her concerns about an upcoming slumber party. She told her psychologist that she knew that the party will be a set-up, so her doctor suggested she to go to the party to face her bullies, showing them she isn't afraid.
Back at the slumber party, the group, now with the boys, start playing Seven Minutes in Heaven. Steve takes a piece of paper from a bowl and pretends that it reads "Bethany" when in fact all the papers have the name "Lindsay" written on them. The pair then go upstairs and Bethany tells Steve to give her a moment to prepare herself. Minutes pass and Steve worries so he enters the room where he can't find Bethany who is hanged above him from the ceiling. He assumes she went out of the window so he ventures out on the roof were he starts feeling dizzy and scared, induced by a spray of gas, and falls.
The others downstairs hear the fall, but ignore it, and one of the girls named Elsie says "sounds like somebody's having fun", while eating ice cream. Heather indirectly calls her a pig and Elsie runs away. A careless Heather says that the time is up and asks Jack to pick a name, when Elsie is in the bathroom inducing herself to vomit as a shadow looms behind her.
Jack flirts with Lindsay upstairs, but just before they kiss, Lindsay spots a hidden camera and takes it away, seconds before the Scarecrow appears behind them. Jack starts excusing himself and blames Heather for the prank but is dosed with Crane's fear toxin. Jack freaks out and run away from the Scarecrow, while Crane speaks to Lindsay about her revenge.
- At the clinic of Jonathan Crane, the psychiatrist advised Lindsay about facing her fears and terminated the session.
Batman is rapidly informed by Gordon about a call that came from a boy who told them that the walls were closing in. Believing Crane is responsible with his recent escape from Arkham Asylum, Gordon also discovers him that Crane has been practising.
Scarecrow tortures Heather and encourages Lindsay to join. The girl is reluctant, and spared the pressure when Batman breaks into the house with his gas mask and kicks Scarecrow. Scarecrow breaks the Bat's mask with a lamp and sprays him with his gas. He lunges at the panicked Batman with a knife, but Lindsay smashes him with the camera.
After the terrifying incident, Lindsay speaks with an ashamed Jack in a cemetery. The girl is not so innocent, though, and surprises the boy with a face full of fear gas.
- As this story is narrated by the Joker (perhaps the DC character best known to be an unreliable narrator), its veracity is questionable.
- Jonathan Crane returns to perform his profession as a psychologist, not only treating Lindsay, but also other patients according to Gordon.
- Discuss Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Joker's Asylum series
- Images from Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow Vol 1 1