Jon Haraldson is the Viking Prince, a Viking warrior doomed to immortality.
Most of the Viking Prince's history is shrouded in mystery and often considered legend. Historical accounts vary, and some appear to contradict one another. An accurate history of the Viking Prince has yet to be recorded. In one of his early stories, he was found amnesiac and given the name "Jon" by a Scandinavian fisherman. It was discovered that Jon was actually a prince, the son of King Rikk.
In another story, the Viking Prince at some point fell in love with a Valkyrie, but was consequently banished from Valhalla by the Norse god Odin, who said he could only return to his love if he died a heroic death. However, Odin also made the Viking Prince invulnerable to all known weapons. Because of this, the Viking Prince became a death seeker. Eventually, the Viking Prince would found himself frozen in ice and preserved throughout the centuries until being awoken during the onset of World War II. It is here that the Viking fought alongside Sergeant Frank Rock until his supposed death when he fell to plastique explosive, an unknown weapon at the time the curse was made.
Powers and Abilities
- Immortality: The Viking Prince did not possess any superhuman capabilities, though one account suggested that he may in fact be immortal.
The Viking Prince was a master swordsman and proficient in hand-to-hand combat. He was also skillful in the fields of sailing, boat-making, tracking and hunting.
- 10th century era broadsword.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 83 Appearances of Jon Haraldson (New Earth)
- 9 Images featuring Jon Haraldson (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Jon Haraldson (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jon Haraldson (New Earth)