Jonathan Crane was a former professor of psychology at the Gotham University until he was fired for his experiments in students by exposing them to fear. With vengeance in mind, Crane adopted the moniker of Scarecrow and started an attack spree as vengeance against the University. He was eventually stopped by Batman.
- Psychology: A brilliant psychologist, Scarecrow has vast knowledge on the psychology of fear, primarily anxiety disorders.
- Toxicology: Crane's chemical genius brought him to develop a power fear-inducing aerosol that creates nightmarish hallucinations in the minds of anyone who inhales it. His toxin is usually dispersed in the form of a gas, but was also made into powder, darts, and capsules. One time, a powder version of Scarecrow's fear gas can easily absorb through the skin and, once the adrenaline is ignited whenever the victim is stressed, the chemical turns one's euphoria to fear. He has even managed to create a chemical that removed fear, which would've been used perfectly for treatment of phobias and other anxiety disorders, but instead made the patient reckless and chaotic.
- Pedagogy: He was a Professor of psychology at Gotham University, until he was expelled for his inhuman experiments on students.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Phobia: Crane suffers from a severe case of chiropteraphobia (fear of bats).
- Obsession: Since childhood, Scarecrow has become motivated by an obsessive need to create fear in others.
- Fear-Toxin: Scarecrow is led to dangerous risks of also contaminating himself with fear-gas, unless he uses it cautiously.
- Fear-Toxin: Scarecrow uses a homemade toxin that makes the infected's fears completely real to them.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow. The original character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane and first appeared in World's Finest #3.
- Scarecrow was voiced by three actors:
- Henry Polic II voiced the character for Batman: The Animated Series.
- Jeffrey Combs took over the role when the character first appeared on The New Batman Adventures and for the video game Batman: Rise Of Sin Tzu.
- Jeff Bennett took over the character for its second and final voiced appearance on The New Batman Adventures, "Over the Edge". He only provided maniacal laughter and no dialogue.
- Scarecrow's design changed three times.
- Crane made more appearances as an inmate at Arkham Asylum than as the story's main villain.
- 42 Appearances of Jonathan Crane (DCAU)
- 6 Images featuring Jonathan Crane (DCAU)
- 7 Quotations by or about Jonathan Crane (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Crane (DCAU)