- So I look like a scarecrow-- That will be my symbol-- a symbol of poverty and fear combined! The perfect symbol... The Scarecrow!
- — Jonathan Crane src
Jonathan Crane was a university professor who was obsessed with rare books, and decided to become a criminal, running rackets so that he could steal the money he needed to buy more books. He decided to use fear as his choice weapon and for this purpose, he took on the identity of the Scarecrow. His activities brought about the attention of Batman and Robin, who through their keen detective skills learned the Scarecrows' true identity and easily apprehended him.
Returning as the Scarecrow a few years later, Crane robbed a hat show leaving behind a clues that rhymed with the word 'hat'. Once more Batman and Robin hunted down the Scarecrow, and tracked him down to an antique shop, where a small statue of a Chinese scarecrow carved out of jade caught the villains' eye. However, Batman and Robin intervened and returned the criminal and his gang to prison.
- This version of Scarecrow, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 7 Appearances of Jonathan Crane (Earth-Two)
- 6 Images featuring Jonathan Crane (Earth-Two)
- 2 Quotations by or about Jonathan Crane (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Crane (Earth-Two)