Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
After stealing a high-tech device, Sorrow found that he had turned intangible; his physical form ceased to exist and his soul traveled to the Subtle Realms. There he met the King of Tears. The King of Tears gifted Sorrow a mystical mask that allows him a physical form and special powers in exchange for his soul.
Justice League vs. Suicide Squad
Sorrow is sucked into a portal after Wonder Woman makes him look at his face.
- Mystical Horrific Visage: Following his first trip to the Subtle Realms his face was horribly (and mystically) disfigured, causing death to anyone who gazed upon it.
- Intangibility: Sorrow is intangible, but can become solid and must in order to remove his mask. Once solid, he cannot become intangible again until the mask is replaced. While tangible, he can be hurt by physical force as well as matter manipulation.
- Summoning: Sorrow can summon the agents of the King of Tears. However, if he is forced away, they cannot remain in his dimension.
- Power Limitation: Johnny Sorrow is not immune to his own face. If he sees it, he is forced back into a portal. His powers also do not work on those who are already insane like Harley Quinn.
- Johnny Sorrow was created by Geoff Johns, David S. Goyer, and Phil Winslade, first appearing in Secret Origins of Super-Villains 80-Page Giant #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Johnny Sorrow first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #1 by Joshua Williamson and Jason Fabok.
- 7 Appearances of Jonathan Sorrow (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Jonathan Sorrow (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Jonathan Sorrow (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Sorrow (Prime Earth)
Suicide Squad member
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."