Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
The Doom of Krypton
Jor-El was a prominent scientist on his home planet, Krypton. According to his research, Krypton would be destroyed in a great catastrophe. Unfortunately, the Kryptonian Science Council ignored his pleas for evacuation, later expelling him. Six months later, Jor-El's predictions were proven correct. Due to the ignorance of other scientists, no one was prepared to evacuate. He and his wife Lara Lor-Van shot their son Kal-El into space using their last remaining prototype spaceship. Afterwards, Kal-El landed on Earth, and grew up as Clark Kent.
Survival on Earth
As Krypton was crumbling, Jor-El was whisked away by an unseen force, and taken to Earth where he crashed in a war-torn nation. After being nursed back to health by locals, Jor-El saw first hand the atrocities of man, as a dictator usurped all of what the people owned, causing them to starve. After witnessing these atrocities, Jor-El was forced to watch the horrors of mankind over the centuries by the unseen being that saved him.
Becoming Mister Oz
Shortly after witnessing man's evils, Jor-El adopted the moniker of Mister Oz and began manipulating certain events from behind the scenes. He imprisoned Doomsday, Prophecy, Red Robin, and Batman of a possible future as they were causing timelines to unfold that weren't meant to. In Doomsday's case, it was also to keep him from killing Superman again. He also frequently either helped or hindered Superman and his family, executing his brother Zor-El, deeming it a mercy killing.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Jor-El possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Jor-El's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Jor-El can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Jor-El's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Jor-El's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Jor-El can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Jor-Els can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Jor-El can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Jor-El is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Jor-El is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Jor-El is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Jor-El's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Jor-El is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Jor-El is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Jor-El can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Cosmic Awareness: Oz is aware of any alterations to the timeline.
- Kryptonite Vision: Due to a radioactive slug of his destroyed homeworld lodged into his brain, Jor-El/Oz could emit and project kryptonite radiation-based optic blasts from his damaged left eye at will.
- Reality Alteration: Jor-El had the power to bend the fabric of reality to his beck & call using a special staff given to him by his captor.(Formerly)
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Red Solar Rays
- Vulnerability to Magic
- Vulnerability to Psionics
- Jor-El was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, first appearing in Superman #53. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Jor-El first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Action Comics (Volume 2) #3 by Grant Morrison, Rags Morales, and Gene Ha.
- Jor-El made his first appearance as Mr. Oz in Superman (Volume 3) #32 and wouldn't have his true identity revealed until Action Comics #987, almost three and a half years later.
- 103 Appearances of Jor-El (Prime Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Jor-El (Prime Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Jor-El (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Jor-El (Prime Earth)
Expression error: Missing operand for -.
Superman Family member
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."