Joseph Chamberlain was born to a coal miner named Darren Chamberlain and had a sister named Annie. He lived in York Hills, a small but semi-prosperous town in the middle of nowhere. Joe's father was injured in a tunnel collapse, permanently damaging his leg.
Eventually the coal mines dried up, and the town soon lost its economic use. As the inhabitants deserted, Joe and his family were unfortunately trapped in the dying town due to Joe's father's injuries keeping them from moving.
One day, Joe met a man who introduced himself as "the Salesman", who made him a unique offer to "put York Hills back on the map" if Joe agreed to be his agent. Joe eagerly agreed, seeing the opportunity to save his family, and shook the Salesman's hand. However, by doing so, Joe went through a dramatic transformation into a fiery creature known as Brimstone. The Salesman, in actuality, was a powerful entropic entity who planned to put York Hills on the map by killing all of its remaining inhabitants, an act Joe himself would be forced to carry out.
Joe was discovered unconscious after his deal with the Salesman by his sister Annie. Upon waking in his bed at home, Joe told his sister the entire situation, and the two looked for possible evidence about the Salesman. Going to the only hotel in town the Salesman could possibly be staying, the siblings found his room empty except for clothes and a ledger.
The pair were contacted by the Salesman, who told them that he had kidnapped their father in order to further his plans to destroy York Hills.
Soon after, they met the Hound, an agent of the Salesman who had been tricked to destroy her own town with ice powers. Though her situation was similar to Brimstone's, she had accepted her fate as one of the Saleman's agents and attacked him. Though they temporarily fought, Joe and Annie managed to escape. 
While escaping, Joe and Annie were stopped by the Salesman, who threatened to kill their father if Joe didn't comply. Though Joe fought back to save his father's life, the Hound caught up to them and froze Joe's father to death for his disobedience. In an emotional rage, Joe unleashed an explosion, accidentally destroying York Hills. Though both Joe and Annie survived, and the Salesman nowhere to be found, the brother and sister went on a road trip with the Salesman's Ledger to prevent another tragedy like this to happen again.
- Demonic Transformation: After unintentionally making a deal with a mysterious figure called the Salesman, Joe possesses the superhuman ability to transform into the Brimstone at will. As Brimstone, Joe is inconceivably powerful. He was able to overpower the nigh-omnipotent Lord of Order Nabu.
- Fire Projection: Brimstone possesses the ability to generate, control and project fire from his body at will and uses it as a weapon to attack his enemies.
- Fire Burst: As Brimstone, Joe displays the ability to unleash powerful energy bursts from his body. The burst is powerful enough to destroy demons or other living beings around him, but the ability appears to be triggered by emotional stress and is not fully controlled.
- Pyro-Telekinesis: Brimstone can manipulate, control and move objects using fire and smoke through his mind.
- Fire Constructs: Brimstone is able to construct various objects such as shields or weapons with his flames.
- Superhuman Strength: As Brimstone, Joe possesses superhuman strength. He is strong enough to confront other demons or other super-powered beings.
- Superhuman Speed: As Brimstone, Joe is capable of moving at speeds that exceed the limits of any normal human.
- Superhuman Durability: While transformed into Brimstone, Joe's body is highly resistant to physical injury. He is capable of withstanding great impact forces, temperature and pressure extremes, powerful energy blasts or falls from great heights without sustaining injury.
- Superhuman Agility: The elemental energy that empowers Brimstone also enhances his reflexes, coordination, dexterity and accuracy. This allows him to dodge attacks from enemies at point-blank range.
- Accelerated Healing: Despite his high resistance to injury while he is transformed into Brimstone, Joe can still sustain physical injury. However, the elemental energies of Brimstone enable him to heal physical damage much faster and more extensively than an ordinary person.
- Magic & Heat Resistance: As Brimstone, Joe possesses a certain level of resistance to magic. He was even able to withstand the attack of Doctor Fate's magic lightning without being injured and break free from his magic seal with minimal effort.
- Flight: As Brimstone, Joe is able to fly at amazing speeds.
- Power Instability: Possessing the power of Brimstone makes Joe struggle to restrain the dark aspects of his own powers. The more often he uses that power, the more it affects his mind and soul, which makes Joe sometimes lose control when he becomes Brimstone.
- Joe Chamberlain is similar to Marvel Comics' Ghost Rider.
- While in his Brimstone transformation Joe has red eyes and no hair. When in his normal form he had green eyes and red hair.
- According to both Doctor Fate and Constantine, Brimstone's powers aren't magic based, instead being some kind of elemental corruption.
- 13 Appearances of Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Curse of Brimstone #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The Curse of Brimstone #2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Curse of Brimstone #3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Curse of Brimstone #9
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Curse of Brimstone #5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Curse of Brimstone #7
- ↑ The Curse of Brimstone #12
- ↑ The Curse of Brimstone Annual #1