Joseph "Joe" Chamberlain is a human who has the supernatural ability to transform into a demonic form with the powers of hellfire, called Brimstone.
Joseph Chamberlain was born to a coal miner named Darren Chamberlain and had a sister named Annie. He lived in York Hills, a small but semi-prosperous town in the middle of nowhere. Joe's father was injured in a tunnel collapse, permanently damaging his leg. Eventually the coal mines of York Hills dried up and the town soon lost its economic use. Many people left the town for new experiences and the schools shut down, however Joe couldn't move due to his father's disability and his lack of job experience. If someone wanted a job they needed to leave town, which required a car, which required a job to obtain. Fortunately Joe was able to buy a car. This car soon broke down and he was picked up by a good Samaritan. The Samaritan introduced himself as " the Salesman" and told Joe that he had been sent to York Hills by a group known as the Home Office.
The Salesman told Joe that he could put York Hills on the map, and that he wanted Joe to be one of his agents in charge of renovating the dead town. Joe eagerly agreed and he shook the Salesman's hand in agreement. When he touched the Salesman's hand Joe quickly began undergoing a dramatic transformation into a creature of hellfire known as Brimstone. Salesman then revealed that he was a powerful entropic entity who planned to put York Hills on the map by killing all of its inhabitants, an act Brimstone would carry out.ledger. The Salesman's ledger contained his previous transactions, confirming that his agents had destroyed all the towns.
Abruptly, all of the phones in the building began to ring. Annie picked up one of the phones and was greeted by the voice of the Salesman. Salesman told the pair that he had kidnapped their father. Joe and Annie were then met by the arrival of the woman responsible for the blizzard. This woman was another of the Salesman's agents known as the Hound, whose domain was ice rather then fire. She to had been tricked into a bargain with the Salesman and destroyed her town, however she had accepted her role afterwards. Joe activated his Brimstone transformation and began attacking the Hound. He was quickly overwhelmed by the Hound, however he was able to escape when Annie slammed a truck into the Hound.
- Demonic Transformation: After unintentionally making a deal with a mysterious figure called the Salesman, Joe possesses the supernatural ability to transform into the Brimstone at will. As Brimstone, Joe is inconceivably powerful. He was able to overpower the nigh-omnipotent Lord of Order Nabu.
- Hellfire Manipulation.
- Hellfire Projection: Brimstone possesses the ability to generate, control and project mystical fire or hellfire from his body at will and uses it as a weapon to attack his enemies.
- Hellfire Burst: As Brimstone, Joe displayed the ability to unleash powerful energy bursts from his body, it's powerful enough to destroy demons or other living beings around him. But it seems that this ability appears suddenly because it is triggered by emotional stress and not fully controlled.
- Hellfire Telekinesis: Brimstone can manipulate, control and move objects using fire and smoke through his mind.
- Hellfire Constructs: Brimstone is able to construct various things such as; shield of hellfire or weapons with his flames.
- Superhuman Strength: As Brimstone, Joe possesses superhuman strength that is much stronger than a normal human's. He is strong enough to confront other demons or other super powered beings.
- Superhuman Speed: As Brimstone, Joe is capable of moving at speeds that exceed the limits of any normal human.
- Superhuman Durability: While transformed into Brimstone, Joe's body is highly resistant to physical injury. He is capable of withstanding great impact forces, temperature and pressure extremes, powerful energy blasts or falls from great heights without sustaining injury.
- Superhuman Agility: The mystical energy that empowers Brimstone also enhanced his reflexes, coordination, dexterity and accuracy. This allowing him to dodge any attacks from enemies at point-blank range.
- Accelerated Healing: Despite his high resistance to injury while he is transformed into Brimstone, Joe could still sustain physical injury. However, the mystical energies of the Brimstone enable him to rapidly heal physical damage much faster and more extensively than an ordinary person.
- Magic & Heat Resistance: As Brimstone, Joe possesses a certain level of resistance to Magic. He was even able to withstand the attack of Doctor Fate's magic lightning without being injured and break free from his magic seal with minimal effort.
- Hellfire Manipulation.
- Power Instability: Possesing the power of Brimstone makes Joe have to struggled to restrain the dark aspects of his own powers. The more often he uses that power, the more it affected his mind and soul, which makes Joe sometimes lose control when he becomes Brimstone.
- Joe Chamberlain is similar to Marvel Comics' Ghost Rider.
- While in his Brimstone transformation Joe has red eyes and no hair. When in his normal form he had green eyes and red hair.
- Doctor Fate's claimed that the power of Brimstone is not magic-based. though its similar but different and primal. which raises a puzzle over the origin of his powers.
- 12 Appearances of Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Chamberlain (Prime Earth)