- When I get out, I'll get back at coppers and pennies! I'll fight coppers-- with pennies! Every job I pull will involve pennies! My crime symbol will be pennies!
- — The Penny Plunderer src
Joe Coyne was a man of modest beginnings. He earned pennies by peddling newspapers. He was later fired from his job for pitching pennies in the office and began a career in crime. He fumbled his first heist by robbing a cash register stuffed with pennies.
He later learned to embrace the symbol of his failure, and carved out a corner of the underworld by specializing in penny-themed crimes. His downfall was ironically caused by a pennies, the symbol of his failure and he was eventually defeated by Batman. Coyne was arrested and sentenced to death.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The Giant Penny featured in the Penny Plunderer's first appearance, became a constant feature of the Batcave.
- After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC changed the origin story of the Giant Penny on several occasions. In Batman #410, the Penny was said to be a memorabilia from a fight against Two-Face, but later, Batman Chronicles #19 introduced Joseph Coyne to the New Earth continuity and retconned the Penny's origin to his appearance. Years later, the origin was once again changed in Two-Face: Year One #2 and this time, it became a souvenir from a confrontation between Batman, Two-Face and the Penny Plunderer, incorporating all elements from previous origins.
- 5 Appearances of Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Joseph Coyne (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Coyne (New Earth)