The Raven was an enemy of Hawkman.
Joey Makk's first criminal enterprise involved him training ravens to steal valuables for him. However, this was foiled by a man named Eddie Powe. As a result of this, Joey secretly vowed for revenge against Powe, unbeknownst to the Eddie himself.
Using a raven that he trained to spy for him and gave to Eddie in guise of a gift, he learned that Powe had discovered a manuscript for a previously unknown Edgar Allen Poe novel. Makk adopted a criminal persona as the Raven he and his gang broke into Powe's private library and swapped the manuscript with a fake one, although the rest of his gang was captured as a result of Hawkman's interference. Still, his plan succeeded as Powe was discredited because of the fake manuscript.
Makk's fortune was reversed, however, when Hawkman learned of Makk's location from, ironically enough, his own raven. Makk is incarcerated and the real manuscript is recovered.
- This version of the Raven, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Appearances of Joseph Makk (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Joseph Makk (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Joseph Makk (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Joseph Makk (Earth-One)
|Hawkman and Hawkgirl Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Hawkman, or his associates Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Hawkman Villains category."