Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
While in Hong Kong, Batman came across Julia while while she was working for the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, attempting to take down the city's crime boss, who was connected to Carmine Falcone. After this crime boss impaled Julia through the torso, Batman patched her up and brought her to Gotham City to be with her father Alfred. But once she awoke, she was eager to leave as soon as she could, despite her wounds. Julia, already harboring anger towards Alfred due to abandonment issues, was disgusted to learn that her father seemed to be nothing more than a servant to a spoiled billionaire. However, after Alfred was attacked by Hush and infected with a fear toxin, Julia discovered the Batcave and took on her father's role to coordinate the Batman Family's efforts.
Julia assisted Batwoman as her mission control as they tracked down and stopped the spread of the Monster Venom bioweapon. She continued in this role to hunt The Many Arms of Death, the terrorist group behind the sale and distribution of Monster Venom and other weapons. During this mission, she also reported to Batman about Kate's activities and conducted her own independent investigations.
While Kate went in search of The Needle in the Sahara, Julia received information about one of these investigations, a string of tourist kidnappings in Cairo, Egypt. After arriving there, however, she was soon abducted by Dollotrons and taken to the lair of the man behind the kidnappings: Professor Pyg. Batwoman managed to rescue Julia just as she was about to be operated on, but was unable to save the rest of Pyg's captives.
- Computer Hacking
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Military Protocol
- Julia Pennyworth was created by Gerry Conway and Don Newton, first appearing in Detective Comics #501. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Julia Pennyworth first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batman (Volume 2) #28 by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV.
- Julia is sometimes erroneously mentioned in the comics as being an SAS agent; this is inaccurate to real life, as not only are women not accepted in the SAS, but SAS personnel are not called agents.
- It has been implied that Julia finds Kate Kane attractive.
- 75 Appearances of Julia Pennyworth (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Julia Pennyworth (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Julia Pennyworth (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Julia Pennyworth (Prime Earth)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.