"Meltdown": Continuing their worldwide quest, Rumaan Harjavti convinces the Champions of Angor to take out the Soviet Union's nuclear power sources next. Meanwhile, the [[Justice League International (New Earth)|Justice Leagu
- Hey, everybody -- Batman made a funny! Batman made a funny!
Synopsis for "Meltdown"
Continuing their worldwide quest, Rumaan Harjavti convinces the Champions of Angor to take out the Soviet Union's nuclear power sources next. Meanwhile, the Justice League, inside Blue Beetle's Bug, have been hovering just outside Bialyan airspace for hours when the radar finds the three other-dimensional heroes heading into Soviet airspace and Blue Beetle hits the brakes. The Martian Manunter is worried that the attackers would be assumed to be Americans due to a similar misunderstanding between the Green Lantern Corps and the Rocket Red Brigade, so Batman insists they pursue and the Reds immediately spot them and engage.
Guy Gardner ignores orders and leaps to attacks while the other Leaguers try unsuccessfully to reign him in or convince the Rocket Reds of their peaceful intentions. Fortunately, Maxwell Lord calls General Secretary Gorbachev who orders the Rocket Reds to intercept the three Angorians and ask the Justice League to assist.
The Russian nuclear power plant tries to shut down before the attackers can arrive, but does so too fast, causing imminent core meltdown. The Rocket Reds stop fighting and ask the Justice League for help. They arrive at the power plant where more Rocket Reds are trying to convince the heroes to leave. Just as they strike and the Justice League arrives, the plant begins to rumble, alerting all of the danger. Wandjina incapacitates everyone with a windstorm and bursts into the plant. He manages to safely shut the reactor down but passes out due to radiation sickness and is attended to by Soviet doctors.
The Rocket Reds take the Champions of Angor for medical attention and confinement and order the Justice League to immediately depart. The League return to their headquarters where they meet Maxwell Lord who introduces them to their new member Booster Gold.
Appearing in "Meltdown"
- Justice League
- Champions of Angor
- Rocket Red Brigade
- Booster Gold
- Maxwell Lord
- Fyodor Dostoevsky (Mentioned only)
- Mikhail Gorbachev (Cameo)
- The Presence (Mentioned only)
- General Smerkyakov
- Spock (Mentioned only)
- Superman (Mentioned only)
- Sylvester Stallone (Mentioned only)
- Hikaru Sulu (Mentioned only)
- Angor (Mentioned only)
- Apokolips (Mentioned only)
- New Earth
- Mars (Mentioned only)
- Concussion Bombs
- Green Lantern Ring
- Justice League Signal Device
- Rocket Red Armor
- This issue is reprinted in the Justice League: A New Beginning, Justice League International: Volume One, and Justice League International Omnibus Volume 1.
- Along with Firestorm (Volume 2) #61, this is one of two comics that DC experimented with having variant covers in the newsstand market. Covers intended for popular consumption featured more simplistic battles scenes and a "Superman Comics" logo instead of the DC bullet. Alongside Man of Steel #1, this is a rare example of variant covers in the early Modern Age.
- Terry Austin is credited with special thanks.
- Gorbachev references the Chernobyl disaster and Reykjavík Summit as recent setbacks for the USSR.
- Justice League Recommended Reading
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 2)
- Justice League of America (Volume 3)
- Justice League of America (Volume 4)
- Justice League of America (Volume 5)
- JLA (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 2)
- Justice League (Volume 3)
- Justice League (Volume 4)
- Justice League International (Volume 1)
- Justice League International (Volume 2)
- Justice League International (Volume 3)
- Justice League Europe (Volume 1)
- Justice League America (Volume 1)
- Justice League Task Force (Volume 1)
- Justice League Quarterly (Volume 1)
- Justice League Dark (Volume 1)
- Justice League Dark (Volume 2)
- Extreme Justice (Volume 1)
- Justice League Elite (Volume 1)
- Justice League Odyssey (Volume 1)