"The Great Identity Crisis!": Invading Superman's Fortress of Solitude in one of his light-disguises, Dr. Light uses Superman's store of amnesium and one of his special weapons to pluck the knowledge of their secret identities from the heroes' minds and cause them to believe that each is
Synopsis for "The Great Identity Crisis!"
Invading Superman's Fortress of Solitude in one of his light-disguises, Dr. Light uses Superman's store of amnesium and one of his special weapons to pluck the knowledge of their secret identities from the heroes' minds and cause them to believe that each is actually the other. Green Arrow thinks he is Ray Palmer, Batman thinks he is Oliver Queen, Green Lantern believes himself to be Barry Allen, the Atom becomes Hal Jordan, and Flash assumes the identity of Bruce Wayne.
Only Aquaman, who has no secret identity, and the invulnerable Superman are unaffected, and they set out to rescue their comrades from Dr. Light's death-traps. In their confused states, the heroes are easy victims, but Superman and Aquaman (working undercover under his real name, Arthur Curry) extricate them from their difficulties. Returning to the Fortress, they fight a pitched battle against Dr. Light before overcoming him. The amnesium is destroyed, and the heroes agree that all members be told about the secret identities of everyone in the team in future, to prevent the recurrence of this dilemma.
Appearing in "The Great Identity Crisis!"
- Justice League of America (Flashback only)
- Ira West (Flashback only)
- Dr. Light (Flashback only)
- Andy (Oliver Queen's neighbour)
- Reprinted in JLA: The Greatest Stories Ever Told.
- A retcon set between issues 75 and 77, circa late 1969.
- Hal Jordan is a toy salesman in this point of time.
- This adventure happened before Dr. Light raped Sue Dibny on the JLA Satellite.
- Cover gallery for the Justice League of America series
- Images from Justice League of America Vol 1 122