"The Carnival of Souls!": A sorcerer, Count Crystal, makes a contract with the demon Azgore for supernatural power upon his defeat and sacrifice of the Justice League members. Invading the JLA satellite, he uses his magic to murder Superman, the member on monitor duty.
- I anticipate your questions! It is true that Superman and I-- and Katar Hol-- died tonight! But when Azgore loosed the life-force that had been Count Crystal-- as I prayed he would in his fury-- I was able to make use of it myself! As the door to the death-dimension opened to swallow the sorcerer-- We took the power unto ourselves-- And returned! It is said death is the one unconquerable foe! Once, it was said that man could never fly! The frontiers of the possible-- The borders which abut the beyond-- must ever expand! What lurks in shrouded mystery today becomes commonplace tomorrow! I know, for to the commonplace world-- I am a stranger!
Appearing in "The Carnival of Souls!"
- Justice League of America
- Tom Fagan (Cameo)
- The Construct (Behind the scenes)
- Red Tornado (Possessed) (Cameo)
- Felix Faust (Mentioned only)
- Aquarius (Mentioned only)
- Saturna (Mentioned only)
- The Presence (Mentioned only)
- Rama Kushna (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "The Carnival of Souls!"
A sorcerer, Count Crystal, makes a contract with the demon Azgore for supernatural power upon his defeat and sacrifice of the Justice League members. Invading the JLA satellite, he uses his magic to murder Superman, the member on monitor duty.
The Phantom Stranger summons Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, and Hawkgirl to a seance-like ritual in the hope of returning the Man of Steel to life. Contacting Superman's spirit, they then set out for the community of Rutland, Vermont, from which the Stranger leads them into the extradimensional realm known as the Carnival of Souls.
After battling Crystal, a monstrous creature, and devilish carnival rides, the heroes lose their only shield against the villain's magical power when the Phantom Stranger apparently perishes, and Count Crystal abducts Hawkgirl from their midst. While Hawkgirl turns Crystal's plans to make her his consort against him and rescues her allies, the Phantom Stanger joins Superman in spirit form, and saves him from being consumed by Azgore.
Just as the Count kills Hawkman, the demon, furious at its failure to feast on Superman, appears and turns on Crystal, destroying him. The Stranger seizes the moment of the Count's demise to return himself, Superman, and Hawkman to life. Hawkman and Hawkgirl are reunited, and all is well, when, suddenly, the Red Tornado appears.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Cover gallery for the Justice League of America series
- Images from Justice League of America Vol 1 145