Appearing in "The Origin of the Justice League"
- Justice League of America (Origin)
- Aquaman (Flashback and main story)
- Batman (Flashback and main story)
- Flash (Barry Allen) (Flashback and main story)
- Green Arrow (Oliver Quen)
- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (Flashback and main story)
- Martian Manhunter (Flashback and main story)
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Wonder Woman (Flashback and main story)
- Snapper Carr
- Aquaman's fishes (Flashback only)
- Appellaxian invaders (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- United States of America
- Atlantic Ocean (Flashback only)
- Paradise Island (Flashback only)
- Africa (Flashback only)
- Sahara Desert (Flashback only)
- Greenland (Flashback only)
- Italy (Flashback only)
- Appellaxian Meteor Ships
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Justice League"
Aliens from the planet Appellax came to Earth following the death of their ruler in order for a representatives of each race to vie for leadership over the planet by waging war on Earth. The last remaining after their war would become Appellax's leader. Each Appellaxian was encased in a meteor and rocketed to Earth. After each of the creatures emerged from their meteor pods, they bagen usingtheir special abilities to tranform Earth's inhabitants - humans and animals alike - into beings that resembled their individual makeups. Following their arrival the members of theJustice League, though not yet in league with one another, begin to respond and combat the creatures.
Martian Manhunter fought a stone being, and after his success travels to another meteor that has not yet birthed a creature. But, upon his arrival begins to transform to wood. The same happened to the others, they'd fight the nearest opponent and then travel to the one that transformed Martian Manhunter into wood, and become wood themselves. Eventually Aquaman, Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman all became trapped and slowly be transformed into trees. However, they worked together combining their powers and abilities to free themselves, stop the tree-like alien, and restore themselves to normal. Traveling to the north, they teamed up with Batman and Superman who were already facing the final invader, whose meteor's Kryptonite composition was weakening the Man of Steel.
Defeating this final foe and saving Superman, the assembled group of heroes then decide to work again in the future. And thus, the Justice League of America was born.
- This story is fully reprinted in 80-Page Giant #8, DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #5, Justice League of America Archives Vol. 2 and Showcase Presents: Justice League of America Vol. 1.
- Parts of this story are reprinted in Justice League of America #97.
- A chronologically earlier "origin" is presented in Justice League of America #144.
- This story is retconned in Secret Origins (Volume 2) #32, excluding Batman and Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman's role was replaced by Black Canary. Superman appears, but he doesn't join the team.
- The Apellaxian invaders appear again in Justice League of America #200.
- The ceratodus is believed to have become extinct sometime around the beginning of the Eocene Epoch. How could Aquaman summon it...?
- Discuss Justice League of America Vol 1 9 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Justice League of America series
- Images from Justice League of America Vol 1 9
- Justice League Recommended Reading
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 2)
- Justice League of America (Volume 3)
- Justice League of America (Volume 4)
- Justice League of America (Volume 5)
- JLA (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 2)
- Justice League (Volume 3)
- Justice League (Volume 4)
- Justice League International (Volume 1)
- Justice League International (Volume 2)
- Justice League International (Volume 3)
- Justice League Europe (Volume 1)
- Justice League America (Volume 1)
- Justice League Task Force (Volume 1)
- Justice League Quarterly (Volume 1)
- Justice League Dark (Volume 1)
- Justice League Dark (Volume 2)
- Extreme Justice (Volume 1)
- Justice League Elite (Volume 1)
Links and References
|Justice League Origins |
Origin stories for how the Justice League of America came together have had multiple retellings over the years. Although numerous attempts have been made at writing a definitive origin story, the true history of the team has spanned many decades and many changes.