Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- The scum of the earth called me Eclipso. But here... I was Lord Kaala. Lord of the Black Diamond.
- — Lord Kaala of House Onyx src
Long ago, in the world of Nilaa, the Lord of House Onyx formed a blood pairing with the Lady of House Diamond. The result of their union was a child named Kaala. The dormant powers of both houses twisted his evil soul. When he became a man, he killed his parents, and received both of their blood-power by means of a Black Diamond. By virtue of his both having been born on an eclipse and gaining his powers during one, Kaala was tied to the darkness of a total solar eclipse.
During the eclipse, his power was magnified tenfold, and his evil was so great that the other Houses banded together against him in the War of the Eclipse. Thanks to the fact that he could not enslave those who bore the blood-power of their Houses, Lady Chandra of House Amethyst was able to defeat him by opening a portal and dragging him to First Home, where he was trapped in the Black Diamond for centuries.
Lady Chandra had hoped to destroy him there, but she clearly failed, and the black diamond survived with the essence of Lord Kaala inside it until he could find a physical host.
The diamond ended up in Hell. In the early 11th century AD, it was taken to Earth by the Amazon Exoristos, who found that she grew more violent with it in her possession. She left it with Al Jabr in the Moorish city of Al-Wadi, where by 1043 Lord Kaala's influence had turned a once proud city into a place of crime and corruption. Following the discovery of the Holy Grail by the Demon Knights in a giants' stronghold it was used to balance the effects of the diamond.
Eventually, the stone was discovered by Dr. Henry Jekyll, who used it to create the formula that would transform him into Mister Hyde, a monster consumed by the rage and power of Lord Kaala.
Nearly a century later, the Diamond had been housed on Sentinel Island, where it was protected by the ghosts of all of those who died there. It was discovered there by Team 7, who, in an effort to counter a plan by Basilisk to use the Black Diamond's power against metahumans, retrieved it. In the process, Slade Wilson became possessed by the spirit in the Diamond. After he was freed, the stone was hidden away in the Black Room.
Five years later, Catwoman was contracted to infiltrate the Black Room and steal the Black Diamond, nearly becoming possessed herself. After retrieving it safely, it was delivered to Alex Montez, who became completely possessed by Eclipso.
John Constantine, who had stolen a portal crystal to Nilaa when Princess Amaya returned there, knew that Eclipso posed a threat to the earth, and decided to use the favour Amaya owed him (in exchange for having bought her pizza) to get Eclipso back to Nilaa, and off of Earth. Upon his return to Nilaa, Eclipso introduced himself as Lord Kaala, and murdered Lady Senshe of House Citrine before beginning his quest to regain control of Nilaa.
His first move was to return to House Onyx to take control of his people there, though he failed to kill the current House's Lady Akikra. Taking her people with him, he then went to House Diamond, where he offered Lord Reishan the opportunity to surrender freely to him. The Lord refused, and was immediately beheaded, causing the blood power of his House to transfer into his son Zushan. Wilier than his father and brother, Zushan surrendered, and turned on his own brother Hadran, who was saved at the last by Lady Akikra.
With the combined Houses of Onyx and Diamond under his command, Kaala lead his attack against House Amethyst, requiring that the disparate factions within that House unite against him.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology
- Invulnerability: Eclipso was completely unfazed by a barrage of bullets fired by Deadshot.
- Possession: When a person makes contact with the Heart of Darkness, Eclipso is able to possess their body. Eclipso is able to conjure his almost unlimited power through this host body. This possession is the main way in which Eclipso can escape the diamond. When Eclipso takes over a body the person takes on the appearance of him.
- Telekinesis: Eclipso has incredibly strong telekinetic powers. During his stint in the body of Maxwell Lord, Eclipso moved the Earth's moon in the way of the sun with ease. He did this to create an eclipse so he couldn't be harmed by the sun's rays.
- Telepathy: Eclipso is able to read anybody's mind to find out anything about them. No secret however dark it happens to be is safe from Eclipso. He often uses his telepathy to learn who a person is and what motivates them.
- Mind Control: Eclipso is able to control the minds of almost every being in existence by unlocking the darkest thoughts within them. When he controls a creature's mind a blue crescent emerges on the right side of their face. His mind controlling abilities are so strong he was able to control the minds of almost everybody on Earth with ease.
- Umbrakinesis: Eclipso is able to project blasts of pure dark energy. These blasts are strong enough to disorientate the whole of the Justice League and Suicide Squad with a single pulse of energy.
- Vulnerability to Sunlight: Eclipso's greatest weakness is sunlight. When a host body of his is subjected to enough solar radiation, Eclipso is forced to go back into the diamond. Anyone under Eclipso's control is set free when hit by sunlight.
- Eclipso was created by Bob Haney and Lee Elias, first appearing in House of Secrets #61. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Eclipso first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Team 7 (Volume 2) #3 by Justin Jordan and Julius Gopez.
- 39 Appearances of Kaala (Prime Earth)
- 20 Images featuring Kaala (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kaala (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Kaala (Prime Earth)
- Sword of Sorcery (Volume 2) #7
- Sword of Sorcery (Volume 2) #6
- Demon Knights #13–15
- Demon Knights #16
- Demon Knights #23
- All-Star Western (Volume 3) #14–17
- Team 7 (Volume 2) #1–4
- Catwoman (Volume 4) #16
- Sword of Sorcery (Volume 2) #0
- Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #6
- Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #5
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."