Kal-El was born to Kryptonian scientists on the planet Krypton. He was sent to Earth on a spacecraft by his parents so that he would survive the destruction of their planet, and becoming the sole survivor of Krypton. His spacecraft landed in mid-1800s Kansas and found by Jonathan and Martha Kent, who adopted him as their son Clark.
Clark grew up and developed his Kryptonian powers before going public in 1876 at the Philadelphia's Centennial Exposition; in which he delivered Torch of the Statue of Liberty for the exposition. Seeing how America and the world is expecting an "Age of Wonder" with technological innovations, Clark decided to help speed up the advancement and worked for Thomas Edison at Menlo Park. There he met and befriended with Nikola Tesla, and coming into differential conflict with Edison's assistant Lex Luthor over their ideals. Subsequently, Clark later worked for Westinghouse after Tesla and Luthor decided to worked for the company alongside with fellow inventors Barry Allen and Ted Knight. Clark helped in constructing Adams Power Plant at Niagara Falls and fell in love with reporter Lois Lane. After the public named Clark as Super-Man, he was curious as to how he gains his powers and why he is different from other people. His questions were answered from his adopted parents, who revealed him his spacecraft which they had kept hidden and the vehicle's content containing his origins.
Clark brought his spacecraft to his colleagues where he shown them his origins. His friends were awed of what they learned and decided to replicate the Kryptonian technology from Clark's ship that would greatly benefit the world. Within a week, Clark's friends experimented with the new technology in which Ted Knight became the Starman and Barry Allen became the Human Flash. In 1893, Clark later makes a charitable gesture to public in New York as an expression of his belief by having himself and his friends give away a supply of cold wireless lamp recently created by Tesla. But after giving all the lamps away, there was a huge audience that did not received the lamps enviously causes a riot over the lamps. Though Super Man tries to calm the public without using any of his powers and promise to make more cold lamps, the riot is brutally crush by the police. This incident became the Cold-Lamp Riots. Clark was very dismayed of the riots his naive generosity had caused, which had earned the anger of Luthor, but was reassured by Lois that he had too much faith in people as being pure good as he is.
In 1896, Clark was summoned by Captain Hal Jordan to Lot 51 in Nevada, where a dying Green Lantern alien requested in seeing Superman to be his noble successor. However, Superman declined his offer as he has too many responsibility over Earth and selected Captain Jordan as the Green Lantern, as he has the courage and will to protect and serve.
Since the last ten years, Clark and his friends brought America into a flourishing advanced nation; founded the League of Science, which it's purpose is to share their knowledge to the world and inspire people to create new and better inventions to benefit all of humanity; and married Lois Lane.
In 1897, Superman and the League of Science were called to aid Luthor from his airship, whose crew were stricken with radiation sickness on Luthor's scientific expedition, and discovered that it was carrying unprotected radium ores. Superman and the League evacuated the airship and destroyed it and the ores. Clark and Lois visited Luthor, who was recovering from his radiation sickness, as the former felt awful for what happened to Luthor and his project. But, Clark overheard what Luthor and Tesla were planning to use the radium to build a death ray and urged Luthor to drop his project; however, Luthor refused. Clark later held a conference with the League and brought the issue on the development of weapons based off of their scientific sources, in which are prohibited according to the League's charter. The discussion turned shift to the use of their powers in military ventures in which Hal Jordan had a previous involvement in a war in Mexico who he utilized his power ring, in which Jordan argued that times are changing and that their ideas only provided the world new ways to fight wars over. The discussion was reached without any conclusion.
On the next day, Superman was promised to give a tour to the Wayne family on the League's headquarters. As he was waiting for the Waynes, a large explosion was started which heavily damage the League's building. Superman and the League rescue many of the people from the damages. He dig for any survivors who were near the blast and found Waynes, except for their son Bruce, among the dead. Lois helped provided the Superman and the League information on those responsible for the bombing to a terrorist group the Spartans, a dissatisfied low-class workers. The League traveled to the lower east side of New York City and find the Spartans' headquarters, where it was quickly vacated. Thereafter, they came into conflict with the Green Arrow, who bested with Superman's allies, and confronted by an angry mob. Confused, Superman questioned them why they are doing in which Green Arrow speaks for the mob that these are mad because they are unfairly treated by the corruption of industry all due for miserably working for the utopia that the League were building. Furthermore, the Spartans are theses kinds of downtrodden people who took violence in retaliation to their down-trodden lives. In which Green Arrow then pointed out to Superman and the League that they only stand for science and progress, but never for justice. Green Arrow then left them and taken responsibility in going after the Spartans.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, The average Kryptonian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of their super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Their biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and their bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kryptonians can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. Typically, the power is seen as two beams of red light emanating from the eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing the power to be undetectable. The maximum temperature of their heat vision is said to be around that of a nuclear detonation. They can also consciously determine the area affected, down to the microscopic level.
- Super-Hearing: Kryptonian hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill, practice, and concentration, they can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. As such, they can identify a person by their heartbeat, or pick out a single voice in an entire city.
- Enhanced Vision: Kryptonian vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kryptonians can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows them to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kryptonians can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. They can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kryptonians can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kryptonians are able to manipulate graviton particles, in an unknown and apparently unconscious manner, to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, they are capable of speeds of multi-Mach speeds in Earth's atmosphere. Their control of their flight is very precise and they can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.
- Invulnerability: The bodies of Kryptonians are nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, their immune systems protects them from toxins and diseases. The most common explanations for this rely on the presences of a super-dense molecular structure, a supercharged bio-electric aura which acts as an invisible force field, or a combination of the two. A byproduct of the aura is that items close to the skin share their invulnerability. Using clothing as an example, loose fitting fabric would tend to shred or burn in adverse conditions, but skin tight outfits would not.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kryptonians have the ability to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. In theory they have unlimited stamina as their enhanced nourishment is produced from the yellow solar energy their cells process, which also provides the majority of the power for their superhuman abilities. However, their base physical structures do need to process food stuffs and they have a psychological need to eat and drink just as Earth humans do. They also require sleep on occasion so that they can dream. They can also hold their breath for an indefinite period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: A Kryptonian develops enhanced physical strength after absorbing a sufficient amount of yellow solar radiation. This radiation interacts with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of their musculature to trigger superhuman levels. While the exact magnitude of their strength is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is sufficient to lift 100,000 tons or more. The specific range is unknown as a their strength, like their other powers, may fluctuate over time. Their strength is also more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables them to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass. At full power, their normal strength levels are well into the multi-megaton range.
- Superhuman Speed: Kryptonians are able to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. They can match most other speedsters in super-fast movements, reactions, and processes. They can use this power to disarm opponents without heightened reflexes, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kryptonians are able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from their lungs. They can chill the air as it leaves their lungs to freeze targets in a variation sometimes called "freeze" or "arctic breath". They can also reverse the process and pull large volumes of air or vapor into their lungs.
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Magic
- 1 Appearances of Kal-El (Age of Wonder)
- 2 Images featuring Kal-El (Age of Wonder)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (Age of Wonder)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Age of Wonder)
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.