Clark Kent (born Kal-El) is the editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet as well as the Kryptonian superhero Superman on Earth-96. During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, he was revealed to be the Paragon of Truth.
- Main Article: Kal-El (Superman Returns)
Like the majority of his doppelgangers, he was raised as Clark Kent and grew up to become the superhero known as Superman on Earth-96. As Superman, Clark had several "go-arounds" with Lex Luthor and once went "nuts and fought himself". He also at some point married Lois Lane and had a son, Jason. At some point, believing the Daily Planet wasn't covering him enough, the Joker played a "practical joke" and gassed the building, killing nearly everyone inside, including Lois and countless friends and coworkers of Clark's. Despite this great tragedy, Clark held on to hope, as he believed it would shine through the darkness, a belief which he symbolized by embracing a black and red crest.
Crisis on Infinite Earths
After the Monitor found a Kryptonian to be the "Paragon of Truth", Clark Kent was visited by his a Superman from another world as well as Lois Lane and Iris West-Allen of Earth-1, who explained the situation to him, further explaining Lex Luthor sought to murder every iteration of Superman. Lex Luthor then subsequently appeared, using the Book of Destiny in an attempt to make Clark kill Earth-38's Superman. They briefly fought before Lois knocked Lex out. Afterwards, they were able to get through to Earth-96's Clark. They returned to their base of operations, the Waverider, where Clark met his Earth-38 counterpart's son, Jonathan Kent. His Earth-1 doppelgänger, Ray Palmer, attempted to use a piece of technology to locate the other Paragons, but they only found one, that of Kate Kane, who was in the room with them, amongst others. After Mobius forced Harbinger to attack the Monitor, Pariah sent the various Paragons to the Vanishing Point. However, Clark was wounded and presumably killed after Lex used the Book of Destiny to rewrite his designation as a Paragon over Superman.
Since he was erased from existence, Superman was forced to sit out the remainder of the Crisis, but when the Crisis was over, the multiverse was restored, including Earth-1 and Earth-38, which were merged together to create Earth-Prime, also Superman's world, Earth-96 was restored, only this time, his crest no longer had black in it.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kal-El possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kal-El's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kal-El can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kal-El's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Kal-El's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kal-El can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kal-Els can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kal-El can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kal-El is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kal-El is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kal-El is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kal-El's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kal-El is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kal-El is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Kal-El can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Interstellar Travel
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kal-El possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Arrowverse and is an adaptation of Clark Kent/Superman. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Action Comics #1.
- Superman was portrayed by Brandon Routh.
- His suit resembles the Kingdom Come Superman.
- 6 Appearances of Kal-El (Arrowverse: Earth-96)
- 5 Images featuring Kal-El (Arrowverse: Earth-96)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kal-El (Arrowverse: Earth-96)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Arrowverse: Earth-96)
Daily Planet Staff member
Superman Family member